Author Topic: Regulator board & ARF Board  (Read 61158 times)

N6010Y

Re: Regulator board & ARF Board
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2015, 05:52:30 pm »
I'm definitely up for one of those single plug and play units!!!

Pete

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2015, 07:43:09 pm »
Look forward to trying a few of these units.
The mind is like an Umbrella, it only works when it is open!

Bill Maxwell

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2015, 11:12:19 pm »
Just read up on this thread and I think this is an excellent idea. I'll get one or maybe two, to justify postage to Downunder, when available.

Bill

ibelmore

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2015, 10:33:07 am »
I'm in too.

Looking forward to them being available soon.

Ian

JCurtis

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2015, 06:33:49 pm »
Following the recent forum comments over distance issues, before I make some units available I just want to make sure I can squeeze an SMA connector onto an ARF module and still have everything fit, should it be determined that they are required.  I expect some deliveries of parts on Friday 2nd October.

Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

JCurtis

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2015, 04:32:37 pm »
Right, here goes.

I have some Pi Shields available, there are a number of configs available.

Just the shield, where you supply the ARF and solder it on etc.  The pic below is it in the case with a ARF loose fitted to give an indication.

The shield can be supplied with an ARF, which can be soldered on for you if you don't want the hassle.

I can also solder on an SMA adapter onto the ARF, it will just fit into the Pi case Lee has in the build documents, but will need the end plate drilling to make space for the connector.

This board, if you choose to also choose to have the ARF mounted, I believe will enable you to build a PilotAware Pi based unit without the need for a soldering iron.

http://www.charge4.co.uk/pilotaware.html
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

N6010Y

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2015, 04:49:13 pm »
Just ordered one - looking forward to plugging it in!

:)

trapdoor

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2015, 05:48:50 pm »
How far out from the end of the case does the SMA protrude? The image doesn't really give an indication. To attach an antenna it obviously needs to have sufficient thread so the antenna isn't loose and can be done up as tight as possible.

carlp

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2015, 05:57:36 pm »
Just ordered one - can't wait to try everything out as I now have all the other parts.. :)

JCurtis

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2015, 05:59:44 pm »
How far out from the end of the case does the SMA protrude? The image doesn't really give an indication. To attach an antenna it obviously needs to have sufficient thread so the antenna isn't loose and can be done up as tight as possible.

You will need a hole in the end sufficient to take the knurled end of the antenna, I'll take a pic later and put it on here and the website.

trapdoor

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2015, 06:35:33 pm »
Ah, OK.

Would one of these perhaps be a better option?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111733871957

JCurtis

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2015, 06:45:11 pm »
Ah, OK.

Would one of these perhaps be a better option?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111733871957

Could well be, I'll see what I can get hold of, the attached pic is with the ARF supplied antenna on tight.

JCurtis

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2015, 06:59:59 pm »
I have some longer SMA connectors due tomorrow, so anyone ordering with the SMA attached will get the longer version.
I'll update the pics on the website once they arrive.

Well spotted!

Vince

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2015, 09:36:57 pm »
Is it possible to get a coup,e of the longer connectors with the two boards I've ordered? Or could you provide details of a source for these?
Sign up to Stranded Flyer to assist your fellow aviators in those difficult situations.

www.strandedflyer.net

JCurtis

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2015, 09:38:53 pm »
Is it possible to get a coup,e of the longer connectors with the two boards I've ordered? Or could you provide details of a source for these?

Anyone who has ordered units with the SMA option will get the longer connecter fitted as default, they should be with me tomorrow.

I'll post up a link to the items for those interested, once I'm sure they *are* the right ones!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:41:01 pm by JCurtis »