Author Topic: Regulator board & ARF Board  (Read 61156 times)

JCurtis

Regulator board & ARF Board
« on: August 31, 2015, 05:50:03 pm »
I've been asked by a friend to make him up a PilotAware unit.  Reading through the document for these two items I have been mulling over creating a custom shield with a 3.3v regulator to take the ARF board, which then just gets plugged directly onto the GPIO block on the Pi.  This would save the making up of IDC cables and gluing various parts to cases etc.

Would anyone else be interested in such a board? 

Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
Re: Regulator board & ARF Board
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 06:13:50 pm »
Put me down for 2 please.
Gerry
G-DACE
07808 402404
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

Richard

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 06:52:51 pm »
Yes put me down for one please.

Richard
Ps. I will put your charge2 in the post in the morning.
Richard.
Europa XS

trapdoor

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 08:11:38 pm »
Certainly be interested.

Just waiting for my bits to arrive from China, but a more elegant solution would be preferable.

Admin

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 08:19:53 pm »
Jeremy,

I have a list as long as my arm of people who have contacted me !

I will email you directly
Thx
Lee

JCurtis

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 08:36:41 pm »
Jeremy,

I have a list as long as my arm of people who have contacted me !

I will email you directly
Thx
Lee

Indeed, and reply sent.  8)

For everyone else, it will take a few weeks, but I'll pop up updates from time to time.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Pete

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 09:12:57 pm »
Hi Jeremy

Could you put me down for a custom shield with a 3.3v regulator to take the ARF board.
Thanks.

P.S.

Charge 2 Unit works great and now has many faultless hours under the belt.

Regards
Pete

G-BSRI
The mind is like an Umbrella, it only works when it is open!

mike@edtg

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 09:47:30 pm »
Hi Jeremy

just had an eMail conversation with Lee. Not shure whether I am on the big list already, Lee sent to you. So please put me down for two units.

Regards

Mike(@edtg)

rg

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 09:55:44 am »
I'd like one (as long as its not a silly price)

Andy Fell

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 10:25:47 am »
I would like to encourage people who decide to make such adapter boards to make the PCB build files and CAD files available OPEN SOURCED, in the spirit of the way this project is being run.  That way people can also take advantage of it.

The idea of open source is to encourage these such improvements, which overall improves the Pilotaware units making it better for all.

As an RF electronics engineer I'm happy to offer a review of the circuit designs where I can.

Rgds
Andy Fell

krisf

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 11:03:36 am »
Sounds like a significant improvement to the manufacturability of the unit. Put me down for one please.

regards

Chris

Admin

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 11:42:19 am »
I would like to encourage people who decide to make such adapter boards to make the PCB build files and CAD files available OPEN SOURCED, in the spirit of the way this project is being run.  That way people can also take advantage of it.

The idea of open source is to encourage these such improvements, which overall improves the Pilotaware units making it better for all.

As an RF electronics engineer I'm happy to offer a review of the circuit designs where I can.

Rgds
Andy Fell

Hi All,
I see where Andy is coming from here.
I am a little more sanguine about this to be perfectly honest.
So long as the interfaces remain Free and Open (eg RF),
and there is an Open Reference Hardware Platform to which any further improvement conforms,
eg a shield for an ARF, RPi Compute version, ...
then I have no problem with anybody making developments for commercial gain.

I think anyone spending time, effort and money should have the opportunity to be recompensed for their work.

What I am totally against, are attempts to thwart further efforts of improvement or integration,
through the use of exclusivity & secrecy, eg I would not be in favour of a compatible
version with FLARM, if the method of interaction with the FLARM system were not published
somewhere for all to see.

Remember the mantra : Free Speech not Free Beer  ;)

Thx
Lee
(PS, just so there is no confusion, I will not refuse free beer)

« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 11:53:00 am by Admin »

Andy Fell

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 12:40:01 pm »

Rgds
Andy Fell

Hi All,
I see where Andy is coming from here.
I am a little more sanguine about this to be perfectly honest.
So long as the interfaces remain Free and Open (eg RF),
and there is an Open Reference Hardware Platform to which any further improvement conforms,
eg a shield for an ARF, RPi Compute version, ...
then I have no problem with anybody making developments for commercial gain.

I think anyone spending time, effort and money should have the opportunity to be recompensed for their work.

What I am totally against, are attempts to thwart further efforts of improvement or integration,
through the use of exclusivity & secrecy, eg I would not be in favour of a compatible
version with FLARM, if the method of interaction with the FLARM system were not published
somewhere for all to see.

Remember the mantra : Free Speech not Free Beer  ;)

Thx
Lee
(PS, just so there is no confusion, I will not refuse free beer)

Yep.. fully agree   :)

lliksmar

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 02:49:56 pm »
Can me in too. As a someone who is finding most of this conversation above his head, the more plug and play the better :)

Andy Fell

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 10:55:13 pm »
JCurtis,

Were you planning on placing a screening can over the ARF and regulator board assembly?

It's possible that we may see some self interference effects with digital noise injecting into the radio (with it being so close and not screened at all)..  Tests so far seem to suggest this is ok , but it wouldn't surprise me if at some point some performance degradation is seen due to digital noise coming off the Raspberry PI PCB.

Self interference can sometimes be a bit of a difficult animal to track down (can be intermittent and also vary from unit to unit).  A screening can over the radio would be a good idea.

rgds
Andy