Author Topic: iGRID - Two devices required?  (Read 6988 times)

PaulSS

Re: iGRID - Two devices required?
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2022, 06:33:58 pm »
Hi Peter,

This is the dongle I bought:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B2Q5QQN7/ref=pe_27063361_485629781_TE_item

I had hoped to run it off a USB port in my PAW but Lee recommended that I didn't, so I didn't. It's running off a Charge 4 slot.

So it's really just sitting there, blaring away as a 4G WIFI hotspot and showing up very well on every device I have.......on the ground.

It shows well on the PAW Network page and connects immediately to the Hotspot section. Unlike me iPhone I don't need to enable Hotspot etc.

As I said above, the 4G stuff seems okay and connects nicely to PAW. The only thing that is slow to sort itself out is the Internet being piped to my iPad via the PAW router. Once it connects it works well, it just takes its merry time doing so.

I'm going for some punishment in the sim over the next couple of days but hope to see how it all works out after that.

comanchebob

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2022, 11:34:53 pm »
So are you saying you can use only one cellular ipad both as usual as an EFB and sim from
It as a hotspot without even needing the second dongle? Or you just saying that you used two dongles, two devices and it sort of worked as expected?

The Rosetta has inbuilt Wifi so you only need one plug in dongle.  I have got it to work with one device and one dongle, but this is not my mode of operation. I use a second device to service the Internet requirements.

My Rosetta does not have built in Wi-Fi but has a dongle, and I don’t have a spare USB slot as I’m powering an Aircrew from the only spare slot - perhaps I have an early Rosetta. Any chance of an upgrade from PAW?

Keithvinning

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2022, 09:25:17 pm »
Sounds like you have a classic not a rosetta.
It's not a good idea to run aircrew from the PilotAware as it may on certain occasions take a lot of power. Best to run it from a separate source.

C172

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2022, 02:17:55 pm »
The dongle is velcroed to the fabric floor of the aircraft underneath the seats, so should get a pretty good view of all that is below it. I did experiment with the supplied external antennas but, once again with a 4G dongle/router, found it actually had fewer bars. SO no external antennas attached.
Just to clarify for future readers, the dongle's external antennas are for the WiFi signal, not the 4G signal.

PaulSS

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2022, 11:39:46 pm »
Are they really  :-[ Well that's a bit embarrassing, as I thought they were receiving the 4G. No wonder they didn't make any difference  :(

Every day's a school day  :)

Martino

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2022, 03:49:06 pm »
As covered elsewhere in the thread; whether you need two devices or not is very device specific…

My iPhone 8 - ok - can act as hotspot while simultaneously connecting to pilotaware WiFi - 1 device ok

My friends iPhone 11 - ok - can act as a hotspot and connect to WiFi simultaneously

My iPhone 13 - not ok - cannot act as a hotspot and simultaneously connect to WiFi - 2 devices needed minimum

My iPad mini 2 - not ok - cannot act as a hotspot and simultaneously connect to WiFi

It then also depends on how many screens you want to drive…
In order to have SkyDemon on my ipad and pilotaware radar on my phone, I am going to have to carry 3 devices when flying, use the old iPhone as paw radar, ipad as SkyDemon, connect those to paw by WiFi, and have my current phone on 4g acting as hotspot… If only iPad mini 2 could split screen… …

Detail added in case useful to the paw team!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 07:46:46 pm by Martino »