Author Topic: iGRID - Two devices required?  (Read 6948 times)

Vic

Re: iGRID - Two devices required?
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2022, 05:52:52 pm »
First flight using IGrid today, Andrewsfield out to the East, Clacton-Felixstowe and return. A regular route I do just for a bit of currency

First Impressions, A LOT more targets are visible, that's for sure  ;D

Deker

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2022, 07:26:34 pm »
Fyi, if the weather is out of date it is removed, independent of whether gsm is active or not
Thx
Lee

Hi Lee,

How old does the data have to be before it is removed from the display?
I'd like to see a icon showing weather age in minutes please.
There was an NTSB recommendation that weather displays show the age of the data following a fatal accident which resulted from a pilot making a decision based on old data.

Deker.

Admin

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2022, 02:38:12 am »
the weather updates every 10 mins
I think it is removed 5 mins after missing an update
I like your idea of  a time stamp, or age marker

rblaksley

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2022, 03:47:39 pm »
Could someone from PAW please confirm that it is possible for a single device (iPhone) to be connected both to the Rosetta through the usual WiFi link as well as the Rosetta being connected to the same iPhone's HotSpot. Someone earlier in the thread said that the sequencing is difficult, and so it seems. Each time I try it seems to kick the iPhone off the WiFi to connect the Hotspot, or vice versa.

Many thanks

DerekJ

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2022, 04:58:35 pm »
I've got the same issue on both iOS and Android. Any way to get hotspot tethering via Bluetooth or USB?
Another issue: how to get browser full screen on paw.local/192.168.1.1. would be helpful on both iOS and Android when using split screen.

Deker

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2022, 05:50:08 pm »
If I have a tablet connected to PAW running Sky Demon in the normal way and use a separate phone to provide the GSM data with PAW connected it its hot-spot, can that phone be used to display the PAW traffic radar / weather page?

ATB
Deker.

Admin

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2022, 01:42:21 pm »
The ability of the phone to act as a wifi client AND hotspot simultaneously, is a feature of the phone, not PilotAware
The newer iPhone supports this but it’s impossible for us to compile a list of all devices, due to the vast range
Thx
Lee

grahambaker

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2022, 03:10:31 pm »
First flight using IGrid today, Andrewsfield out to the East, Clacton-Felixstowe and return. A regular route I do just for a bit of currency

A lot more -relevant- targets, i.e. likely to represent a threat, or just a lot more distant clutter?

It’s a genuine question, as I really want to know whether it’s worth the the extra faff every time I go flying.

Deker

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2022, 08:38:50 pm »
The ability of the phone to act as a wifi client AND hotspot simultaneously, is a feature of the phone, not PilotAware
The newer iPhone supports this but it’s impossible for us to compile a list of all devices, due to the vast range
Thx
Lee

Hi Lee,
thanks.
I've done a quick check and my phone informs me I have the option of Wifi OR hotspot - both on is not possible on my (Android) phone.

exfirepro

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2022, 10:54:58 am »
Hi Derek,

My Samsung Galaxy S9+ is perfectly happy to run the Hotspot and connect to WiFi at the same time. With Android it seems to vary not just from manufacturer to manufacturer, but even from model to model, which can be very frustrating.

That said, it appears there are issues between Apple devices too, with the newer models defaulting to 5GHz WiFi, requiring adjustment to their compatibility setting to work with PAW’s 2.4GHz WiFi.

Certainly keeps us on our toes  :)

Best Regards

Peter

Keithvinning

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2022, 01:49:09 pm »

A lot more -relevant- targets, i.e. likely to represent a threat, or just a lot more distant clutter?

It’s a genuine question, as I really want to know whether it’s worth the the extra faff every time I go flying.

You should get more targets in the local area as iGRID will assist in removing obscuration from poorly fitted devices particularly those that cant have remote antennas

russp

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2022, 09:44:06 pm »
Thx
Lee

Hi Lee,
thanks.
I've done a quick check and my phone informs me I have the option of Wifi OR hotspot - both on is not possible on my (Android) phone.

I get that exact same warning on my iphone - connect to the wifi and it switches the hotspot off BUT if the hotspot is switched back on the ipad (mini 4) connects without affecting the wifi.

PaulSS

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2022, 06:31:32 pm »
Well, I took the plunge on the 4G dongle option but have yet to fly and see how it works.

I did turn things off and on a few times and the PAW connected to the WIFI 'hotspot' very quickly each time. Traffic was shown nicely. Even though the iPad was connected successfully to the PAW WIFI and doing things correctly (GPS position, traffic etc) it did take a while for the Internet to start coming down the tubes and into the iPad. This could be seen by the whirling circle on the left of the PAW WIFI on the WIFI settings, the lack of a nice WIFI cheese at the top, right of the iPad and, of course, a lack of SkyDemon winds and, also, access to websites. Once the whirling circle was replaced with a blue tick, WIFI cheese etc, everything worked nicely. There just seems (to me) to be a delay while the PAW router sorts things out and starts sending Internets to the iPad over the PAW WIFI.

The dongle is velcroed to the fabric floor of the aircraft underneath the seats, so should get a pretty good view of all that is below it. I did experiment with the supplied external antennas but, once again with a 4G dongle/router, found it actually had fewer bars. SO no external antennas attached.

I'm looking forward to going flying and seeing that it all works but, already, I do like the convenience of just turning on the power and letting things connect automatically, without having to turn on phone hotspots etc.

Stand by for a happy or sad face  ???
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 06:36:02 pm by PaulSS »

PaulSS

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2022, 06:33:21 pm »
Happy radar with GSM and happy SkyDemon, once the Internet was piped to it.

exfirepro

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2022, 09:13:51 am »
Hi Paul,

Can you post a link to the 4G Dongle you are using please. I'll be interested to hear how it compares to the previous performance with your phone.

I have been out of circulation for the past couple of weeks - initially on holiday, then caught the dreaded bug right at the end of the holiday and have been somewhat under the weather since. Hoping to get back in the air later this week and now have a full suite of devices (4G dongle, MiFi and 2 different phones) to run round my standard 'test track' with and also two different networks to compare device and network variation. I will report back.

Best Regards

Peter