Author Topic: USB ports losing connection  (Read 1653 times)

russp

USB ports losing connection
« on: May 20, 2022, 10:06:38 am »
Have an old classic permanently installed in my aircraft with gps fed in and traffic fed out via two usb to serial leads plugged in to the USB ports. Recently been getting issues with the usb connectors losing connection - a bit of a wiggle/push sorts it out for a couple of flights until it happens again but it's a real pain to get out and access the Pi to sort it so I need a more permanent solution. Is there anything that can be done with a usb connector to make it more solid or do I need to bite the bullet and buy a new Pi board? I'm not even sure if its the usb pluf to usb plug or the usb socket to board connection that is the issue  - Thanks for any suggestions.

JCurtis

Re: USB ports losing connection
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 07:33:17 pm »
Swap the cable used and test, often the cables wear and cause intermittent connection. 

I've been asked to swap lots of USB sockets on equipment, but quite often the problem is actually the USB cable and the owner hasn't bought a new one, thinking they just last forever.  Pluggable cables are consumable items.  It's quite rare for a socket to be physically damaged unless it has been put under physical stress.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

skyboy999

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 02:45:35 pm »
I use serial connection to Dynon Skyview and have recently upgraded from Classic to Rosetta and fitted external aerials.

On Classic, never had a problem but on the Rosetta, the link drops every five minutes or so. It usually reconnects after a little while, only to drop again. Each time Mrs Dynon yells at me and it's a real pain.

Point taken about cables but the timing of this and intermittent nature suggests to me that I have a different problem.

Are the configuration parameters the same for the Rosetta as the Classic? I can't see why they would be different but maybe faster processor needing faster baud rate or something like that? I'm using 'Alarm-OUT' with 57600.

steveu

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 06:32:28 pm »
I use serial connection to Dynon Skyview and have recently upgraded from Classic to Rosetta and fitted external aerials.

On Classic, never had a problem but on the Rosetta, the link drops every five minutes or so. It usually reconnects after a little while, only to drop again. Each time Mrs Dynon yells at me and it's a real pain.

Point taken about cables but the timing of this and intermittent nature suggests to me that I have a different problem.

Are the configuration parameters the same for the Rosetta as the Classic? I can't see why they would be different but maybe faster processor needing faster baud rate or something like that? I'm using 'Alarm-OUT' with 57600.

In addition to the baud rates, are there any settings other than alarm out specified?

Is it USB at both ends, or is there a USB/Serial involved?

What about things like parity, flow control, etc? Does the serial port in the Rosetta need further config?

What does the Dynon require? At the risk of sounding lazy, I'm not motivated to go through 500-odd pages of Dynon manual in PDF on a screen to locate the settings, can you find and post them here?

skyboy999

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 02:00:03 pm »
PilotAware configured: 'Flarm-OUT' at 57600 baud
Skyview configured: 'Flarm Traffic' at 57600 baud

Uses recommended USB/serial lead with USB into Rosetta and serial tx spliced into Skyview harness.

The salient point is that everything worked fine with same settings on PAW Classic and those on Dynon not changed. Hence my thinking baud rate. I will change/try and report back.

steveu

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 02:41:09 pm »
Uses recommended USB/serial lead with USB into Rosetta and serial tx spliced into Skyview harness.

The salient point is that everything worked fine with same settings on PAW Classic and those on Dynon not changed. Hence my thinking baud rate. I will change/try and report back.

So this would lead me to ask what has changed other than the PAW, what could have happened when the wiring was disturbed? Intermittent cables or earth wire for serial ground come off?

The only way to prove the Classic/Rosetta change is the fault is to resubstitute. Otherwise, there are potential consequences of disturbing things to consider.

skyboy999

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 08:06:22 am »
Change of baud rate made no difference. Grrr

steveu

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2022, 11:02:18 pm »
Just for reference, these are the options:

russp

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 06:44:48 pm »
Is it possibly this issue ..
the auto detect for the traffic protocol
go to the configure page and select Pilotaware rather than auto

as described by Lee on this post.. http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,1559.msg18376.html#msg18376