Author Topic: License Expired Message Oddity  (Read 955 times)

Sean McDonald

License Expired Message Oddity
« on: April 15, 2022, 08:54:05 pm »
Flew yesterday and recently with PAW through Skydemon. All hunky dory since a software upgrade which I had to redo on old sim rather than on new sim which I purchased for ease of upgrade but buggered up ADSB settings

On start up today I had a License Expired Message on the same tablet which had nothing changed at all. Luckily I was able to retrieve the new key email and re-save the key. All good.

Now I had cleaned the memory of a separate phone that I use for a radar screen having found this thread http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,2118.0.html

I cant see how cleaning the phone memory impacted the tablet? The phone is not connected in any way to the tablet as far as I'm aware apart from co-habiting in the same house.

Any ideas anyone?

exfirepro

Re: License Expired Message Oddity
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 09:10:46 am »
Hi Again Sean,

Flew yesterday and recently with PAW through Skydemon. All hunky dory since a software upgrade which I had to redo on old sim rather than on new sim which I purchased for ease of upgrade but buggered up ADSB settings

For the benefit of others reading this - As you have found, it’s always worth taking careful note of your Config settings prior to doing any update - but especially before swapping to a new install on a fresh card - which has no way to know what your previous settings were as they were stored ONLY on the previous card. Most ‘in unit’ update methods, however, including via an Ethernet cable or by using the (Highly Recommended) Firmware Updater Apps are designed to ‘remember’ your previous settings and reconfigure the unit automatically.

On start up today I had a License Expired Message on the same tablet which had nothing changed at all. Luckily I was able to retrieve the new key email and re-save the key. All good.

Now I had cleaned the memory of a separate phone that I use for a radar screen having found this thread http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,2118.0.html

I cant see how cleaning the phone memory impacted the tablet? The phone is not connected in any way to the tablet as far as I'm aware apart from co-habiting in the same house.

Any ideas anyone?

‘Cleaning’ one device (in this case your phone) would have no effect whatsoever on any other device used with your PilotAware as each device operates completely independently.

Remember that although you insert the new licence key via a phone or tablet, you are in effect only using that device as a keyboard and are actually installing the new key (or any other setting) onto your PilotAware, not onto the individual phone or tablet. Provided the key or other setting is properly installed and saved, the installation of the change onto the PilotAware microSD card is permanent - irrespective of which device you then use to display your PAW data.

You hadn’t by any chance installed the new key on your ‘new’ microSD card, and then reverted to updating your previous one, which would still have retained the old (expired) Key?

The only other explanation I can think of is if your tablet had been used last during the install and setup of the ‘new’ microSD card, and was then swapped to the unit with the ‘old’ upgraded card back in, it could have accidentally installed the previous key from a cached screen. I have experienced this phenomenon very occasionally when swapping a device between separate PAWs, though it isn’t common.

Best Regards
Peter
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 09:20:56 am by exfirepro »

Sean McDonald

Re: License Expired Message Oddity
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 10:56:25 am »
Hi Peter,

I did use the same tablet for the software install on the old SD card now back in and when I tried the new SD card previously. Good point re making sure the settings are recorded before meddling with it. Lesson well learnt!

The oddity is that PAW was working as it should on Thursday but I got the License Expired message yesterday, Friday. Expiry date was sometime in March and obviously working since following renewal. When I retyped the license key in yesterday the characters popped up as having been previously entered. Very odd.

Will see what today brings but at least I know what the problem is if it happens again.

Many thanks,

Sean