Author Topic: ADSB out not working? Radar screen on a phone? Couple of questions!  (Read 1399 times)

Sean McDonald

Hi,

Previous owner of my aircraft installed a Rosetta and went through the LAA mod process to have ADSB out from/via (not sure how it works!) the Trig transponder.

This seemed to work well and I was able to review flight tracks on Flightradar. I installed a new PAW sim card recently to save the faff of doing the software upgrade myself.

Flew yesterday and FR24 has no trace of the flight.

Would that suggest that the ADSB out is not working?

Also last year I successfully used a separate mobile phone as a permanent radar screen. This is now just a white screen on the phone though the various radar icons are there. Radar works as it should on the tablet however. Wifi signal to both seems stable. Is it a settings issue?

Would be grateful for any advice on the above.

Sean
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 09:10:42 am by Sean McDonald »

Ian Melville

Re: ADSB out not working? Radar screen on a phone? Couple of questions!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 09:38:46 am »
Assuming you have input the licence key.

You will need to configure the appropriate USB port for the Trig.

Sean McDonald

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 09:53:38 am »
Yes Ian license key has been put in. So does the port for the Trig have to be configured each time there is a software upgrade?

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 11:21:30 pm »
Hi Sean,

You should only need to reconfigure PAW if you install a new microSD card. The best way to update these days (especially if you have complex settings) is to use the PilotAware Firmware Updater App - available via the Apple App Store, or for Android devices, the Google Play Store. This updates PAW without having to remove it from the aircraft - or even opening the case, and without changing any of its previous configuration. It is generally also much quicker.

In your case, as you say you swapped to a new card, you will have to reconfigure the relevant USB port in PAW Configure to get your ADSB working again. (probably Port 2 - which is the lower one in the left hand row with the Ethernet port to its left - it should normally have a clear USB plug in it). The relevant port needs to be configured to ‘Transponder Trig’ and ‘9,600 Baud’ (providing your transponder is also configured to the recommended 9,600 Baud Rate - they must both be set to the same Baud Rate (speed)). Don’t forget to Save the PAW Configure settings once you have changed them. If you’re not sure how to check the Trig settings, it’s best to dig out the operating instructions (available for download online) and check how to do this properly, as although it’s easy to get into settings mode, you can easily muck up the unit settings once there if you don’t follow the instructions carefully.

Re the White Screen on the separate phone you are using as a permanent Radar Screen, this sounds like a setting on the phone, but difficult to diagnose without more information - for a start, what make / model of phone, and are you talking about PAW or SkyDemon Radar?

Best Regards
Peter

Sean McDonald

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 08:02:37 am »
Hi Peter,

Yes I did buy a new card thinking it would keep me out of having to do anything too techie! Thanks for the advice re the settings matching up. I will have to open the Rosetta I think to see which port the Trig is in and look at the Trig settings too.

Re the phone I was using an old iPhone 4 last year with no problem and had also used an old Samsung which also worked. Neither would this time. I tried a newer Samsung A10 yesterday which seemed to be fine so a bit mystified by why it did't work. And yes using PAW radar not Skydemon.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated as always!

Sean

Sean McDonald

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2022, 10:10:15 pm »
So an update to this one:

ADSB out now working as put old sim back in and upgraded the software via Android App. Very easy. The baud rate on the port was the issue I suspect.

The blank radar screen on the phones had the 'Display' icon mentioned in this thread http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,2118.0.html which hopefully now fixed by cleaning the phone memory and re-finding the PAW page on the browser.

However a new issue which may or not be connected which I'll create a new thread for this which is here http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,2176.0.html

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2022, 08:37:02 am »
Hi Sean,

Glad to hear you have resolved the problem. Thanks for letting us know.

Best Regards
Peter