Author Topic: Mute Audio options  (Read 2481 times)

marioair

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
Mute Audio options
« on: March 18, 2022, 08:57:10 pm »
I know it’s been discussed before but PLEASE can we get an easy way of muting audio alerts?

I have the audio plumbed straight into my intercom which is awesome. However pre departure it’s a PITA. I don’t want to have to plug/unplug cables.

My solution at the moment is to have the config screen open in a browser and to dial down volume and then set it back to 11 after take off. But it’s not ideal.

What would be nice is an super light weight App (on a more general point the Ux of the web app / radar screen is awful).

This light weight all would have four buttons
1) (re) set my Standard Settings for audio and range
2) Mute All (with perhaps a periodic “beep” to remind me it’s all muted
3) Ultra short range (for use in circuit)
4) link to take me to radar screen in browser (until a proper app is created :) )

steveu

Re: Mute Audio options
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 11:39:42 pm »
If you have your audio from the PAW plumbed into your intercom then all you need is a male to female 3.5mm jack cable with a volume control on the lead.

They start from £1.50 on Amazon and eBay.

Interrupt the feed from your PAW to your intercom and insert the lead.

Easy volume control without getting into any software interface...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-3-5mm-Headphone-Control-Connections/dp/B00Y1MYSYW/

marioair

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 01:03:43 am »
I have the benefit/fortune to have it neatly tucked in the p2 map pocket so it’s not easily accessible. Plus I’d imagine folks with semi-permanent or permanent install will have same issue.

Also that doesn’t solve the need to dial down the sensitivity to super short range in the circuit - I don’t want to turn it off completely in the circuit.

marioair

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 07:47:48 pm »
I wonder whether iOS automatons/shortcuts could be used? Would that PAW team consider that if there’s not appetite for an app?

marioair

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 05:51:51 pm »
Any ideas if that would be possible?

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 11:30:22 pm »
Hi marioair,

Not sure about ‘possible’, but in my experience, the best way to control audio is by using a simple mechanical volume control, which provides a quick, simple, single action result.

Something like the one suggested by Steve, or in my case I use a Maker Hart Just Mixer (£52.99 from Amazon UK) to combine PAW and SD warnings with the same quick and easy Master Control.

Best Regards
Peter

marioair

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 06:17:44 am »
Thanks
The issue I have Is the install location means i would be heads down reaching across to the passenger side.

steveu

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022, 08:04:43 am »
Thanks
The issue I have Is the install location means i would be heads down reaching across to the passenger side.

No, you need to buy a cable of sufficient length that it it loops to within your reach, which is where the volume control is, then goes to the audio input to your radio or intercom.

My PAW is under the passenger seat. I'm not reaching there.

You can also buy a Bluetooth receiver module which you pair with the PAW, then take the audio out of this on a cable to your radio/intercom. The one I use in the car to inject the phone into the radio has volume controls on it, as well as an easy to reach on/off button.

This has the advantage of completely decoupling the audio from the PAW and with it any interference.

Any pilots with later Microavionics intercoms can BT PAW direct into the unit.

marioair

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2022, 09:36:06 am »
I suppose I could do that.
I just thinks its a shame not to  have it as a software feature not to have a native app
I love pAW but the number of dongles for X and cable for Y jars with my sterile cockpit OCD :)

marioair

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2022, 08:04:59 pm »
If anyone's interested I've managed to create a couple of IOS Shortcuts to Mute and Unmute audio.
I want to use this when I've started up and don't want PAW bleating at me.

The logic goes like this;
1) You press the MUTE shortcut
2) It sets the volume on your PAW to zero
3) It sets a timer running for X seconds and beeps at you every Y seconds. (in example below I've set it to 5 seconds but will set this to a minute when using
4) When the timer expires it prompts you to remind you audio is muted and you can choos to reset timer (go back to 3) or to UNMUTE the audio.
5) If you want to unmute before the timer expires just run the UNMUTE shortcut

[/url]

-------------

[/url]

-------------

[/url]

-------------

[/url]