Author Topic: Antenna ground plane  (Read 1689 times)

C172

Antenna ground plane
« on: January 25, 2022, 06:04:16 pm »
I’ve completed my ATOM-GRID installation and it is online and working. I have a question about grounding.

My very basic knowledge of an end fed monopole is that one side of the feed is connected to the antenna and the other side to “ground”. My question is, does this ground have to be physically grounded (earthed)? This is particularly relevant to the PAW antenna as it incorporates a ground plane.

In my installation the antenna mounting pole is insulated from earth – not by design but because the pole mounting brackets are fixed to the side of a brick building. There is no earth going to the electronics (in a plastic box) as the PSU is POE.

Would there be any benefit in earthing the mounting pole and thus providing a ground to the coax outer?

Chris

exfirepro

Re: Antenna ground plane
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 09:31:31 pm »
Hi Chris,

There is loads of detailed stuff on the subject of antennas on the internet, but it gets pretty technical very quickly. Without getting too technical, the short answer is ‘No’.

Monopoles (such as transponder or PilotAware external mount antennas - which are 1/4 wavelength long monopoles) require either a ground plane or a counterpoise element* to lower the radiation angle closer to the horizontal and create an effective match to the transmitter (* adding an equal length counterpoise directly opposite a monopole makes the antenna a dipole - like the PAW ‘Internal’ ‘T’ shaped antennas - which don’t need a ground plane.).

The antennas used for the ATOM, on the other hand are NOT monopoles, they are colinears, which comprise a number of tuned length elements, connected together in a linear stack by matching stubs (often short coils tuned to equal a 1/4 wavelength at the appropriate frequency). This has the effect of ‘adding’ the signal from each element together ‘in phase’, which focuses and magnifies the radiation at a relatively low angle all round the antenna and thereby increases the ‘gain’ and therefore the effective range of the antennas. This type of antenna does not require a ground plane. The short ‘ground radials’ on the bottom of your PAW antenna, are more than likely included to improve the match (technically ‘impedance’) between the antenna and the coax feed line, thus ensuring optimal power transfer into (and out of) the antenna.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Peter

C172

Re: Antenna ground plane
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 12:15:36 pm »
Hi Peter

Thanks very much for the comprehensive and understandable reply – it all makes sense. My bad in assuming they were monopoles. I did wonder why the FLARM antenna was so much longer, but see why now.

I can sleep a little easier now, knowing my setup is basically OK.

Best regards

Chris