Author Topic: Flarm Into PAW  (Read 1204 times)

PaulSS

Flarm Into PAW
« on: January 16, 2022, 02:27:34 pm »
A friend has an AT-1 and a Rosetta. Can we feed the Flarm IN, received by the AT-1, into the Rosetta so that it is combined with the ADSB, PAW etc received by the Rosetta and then chucked out to SkyDemon via WI-FI?

For 10 bonus points, can we also output via a USB to serial cable to a Dynon Skyvuew and show the same, COMBINED, received traffic? At the moment the AT-1 is hard-wired to the SkyView and shows Flarm In and ADSB In. We could, I think, wire in the Rosetta as well (on a separate serial port) but I think it would be neater if all received traffic was routed through the Rosetta and then displayed via WI-FI on SkyDemon and via the serial cable to the SkyView.

Sank you  :)

exfirepro

Re: Flarm Into PAW
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 10:44:32 pm »
Hi Paul,

I’ve never tried with an AT-1, but I did write a paper some time back (2016 IIRC) explaining how to integrate the data output from a FLARM device into a PAW Classic (using FlarmMouse as the example. I have also integrated data from PowerFlarm Core, FLARM RedBox and the newer LXNav PowerMouse, so can see no reason why it wouldn’t work with the AT-1 as all FLARM units output their data in a standard format. The principle and detail are laid out in the paper in the Documentation Section of the PAW website here...

https://global-uploads.webflow.com/5d56c24810fbfdbe08b488cd/5f82e28f0e8557469b81059c_FLARM-IN%20via%20LX%20Nav%20FlarmMouse.pdf

For the 10 extra bonus points - as we already output combined traffic data from PAW to Dynon via USB to RS232, I would think that adding in the Flarm Data via PAW (Classic or Rosetta) would automatically result in this additional data being included in the Dynon output.

Best Regards

Peter

PaulSS

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 03:52:18 pm »
Thanks Peter. I knew you'd written before about Flarm but I just couldn't find it in the search. I shall away and study your worms of wizdom  ;D

Keithvinning

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 10:15:35 pm »
As an aside, this is kinda what we are doing with a new product we are currently testing called Rossetta FX., FX is a very small 50 grammes device that will be attached in series with a Flarm device and its display. It will basically inject all the other aircraft that a flarm device doesn't see directly. It can be powered from the Flarm or USB 5V or 6-15V DC power. Its much lower power consumption s it will run off an Anker battery for 7 days.

Working in conjunction with the ATOM GRID and Sky GRID a flarm equipped glider will then have Flarm in and out PilotAware in and out ADSB in (from a chip, not a dongle) and also get the advantages of Mode-S 3D and everything else we will broadcast from the ATOM grounds stations and Sky-GRID with the next software release. Spoiler alert, our resident genius 'Professor' Moore nearly has the Weather RADAR screen working albeit with a little less hair. these days

The combined view of all traffic will be shown on a smart device EFB etc just like Rosetta.

This is a continuation of our mission to integrate the different types of EC together and will help gliders who are thermalling to see the PA28 that has Mode-S only is about to fly through the gaggle that are thermalling.

Before anyone states the obvious, no the PA28 will not see the Gliders unless he/she has an inexpensive PilotAware Rosetta installed but if he/she does then he/she will. Either directly or via the ATOM GRID or via Sky GRID.

You are really getting very clever Mr Moore is there anymore. SIC