Author Topic: Barometer Error?  (Read 2099 times)

russp

Barometer Error?
« on: January 04, 2022, 11:48:11 am »
I have my Pilotaware at home on my Desk because I was seeing errors in the aircraft (it's fitted as a permanent install) - one of the errors was no 1090 Signal that I traced to a damaged aerial cable so that's easy to sort but I'm also seeing a Red signal on the barometer - both while in the aircraft and now at home too. Shouldn't the Pilotaware baro be reading correctly even without aerials and GPS connected? Not sure what I can do to troubleshoot this if it's not expected behaviour? Thanks

exfirepro

Re: Barometer Error?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 12:29:24 pm »
Hi Russ,

While the baro itself works on atmospheric pressure (to compare ‘like for like’ with transponders), the PAW software needs a positive GPS fix for altitude comparison, so won’t show a ‘Green’ in the Baro Status until the GPS Fix has also gone green.

p.s. I’m a bit concerned that the GPS Status is reporting ‘Unavailable’ - is the dongle missing? If not, you need to set it up outdoors in the clear until it gets a proper fix.

Are you also aware of the new VSO switch, which restricts PAW Tx below a 10Km threshold speed (to minimise alerts from aircraft on the ground)? If not see the Config instructions in the Knowledge Base on the pilotaware.com site.

Best Regards
Peter

russp

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 12:44:19 pm »
Hi Peter - thanks for that - the GPS is provided by a serial feed from my Dynon Skyview system in the aircraft so there are no feeds (aerials or GPS connected when the screenshot was taken), I'll reinstall it in the aircraft and see what happens and have the old dongle on hand to check if necessary. I did see there was a speed limit on Tx - will be useful as more people update to screen out those.

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 03:55:01 pm »
You can pop a USB GS into a spare port for testing (with a clear view of the sky). Perhaps you still have the supplied one?

neilmurg

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 10:54:55 am »
.....Are you also aware of the new VSO switch, which restricts PAW Tx below a 10Km threshold speed (to minimise alerts from aircraft on the ground)?
Aaaah THAT's what that means! Thanks!

russp

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 07:55:20 pm »
So reconnected today and the GPS feed does indeed solve the Baro error light but the mended adsb aerial does not solve the 1090 error light. Eventually tried someone else's adsb usb dongle and mine was clearly faulty. It is one of the very early ones - now to track down a cheap Chinese replacement ;)

steveu

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 08:30:46 pm »
Eventually tried someone else's adsb usb dongle and mine was clearly faulty. It is one of the very early ones - now to track down a cheap Chinese replacement ;)

Or buy one from PAW as the ones used for ground stations on the open market are a bit big to fit in a Rosetta, not sure about the Classic.

russp

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 08:33:57 pm »
Eventually tried someone else's adsb usb dongle and mine was clearly faulty. It is one of the very early ones - now to track down a cheap Chinese replacement ;)

Or buy one from PAW as the ones used for ground stations on the open market are a bit big to fit in a Rosetta, not sure about the Classic.

It’s a classic upgraded to Pi3+, pilotaware don’t list the dongle for sale, I guess it’s built in to the Rosetta unit.

steveu

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 09:04:03 pm »
It’s a classic upgraded to Pi3+, pilotaware don’t list the dongle for sale, I guess it’s built in to the Rosetta unit.

Yes and no. The dongle in question plugs into one of the USB ports, then has a flying lead from the back of it, soldered on, which goes back through the unit and terminates in the SMA? to the ADS-B antenna. It also has no outer shield.

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 09:49:03 am »
Hi Russ,

Not ‘cheap Chinese’, but you can get a NooElec Nano 2 or Nano 2+ (with case) from Amazon.

Don’t be tempted by the Nano 3 - they run incredibly hot.

Best Regards

Peter

russp

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 09:57:49 am »
Hi Russ,

Not ‘cheap Chinese’, but you can get a NooElec Nano 2 or Nano 2+ (with case) from Amazon.

Don’t be tempted by the Nano 3 - they run incredibly hot.

Best Regards

Peter

Thanks - I’d found and bookmarked those, would I be likely to see any difference in use between the Nano2 and the 2+ ?

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 10:20:24 am »
Difficult to say Russ, I have used both to good effect in other devices and can’t see a lot of difference. The 2+ is the newer unit.

Regards
Peter