Author Topic: 20220101  (Read 2116 times)

rogerabc

« on: January 02, 2022, 05:18:13 pm »
Thanks for the new software version which I am looking forward to using.

Updated today via iOS & my old home page link takes me straight to the radar page (see attachment).

Neither 192.168.1.1 nor paw.local would take me to the home page, just radar.

Regards,

Roger

neilmurg

Re: 20220101
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 06:08:21 pm »
Press the Goto button,
Home page is 2nd option I think,
Config page is 3rd option

Home page full address is currently 192.168.1.1/index.cgi

rogerabc

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 06:10:12 pm »
Thanks Neil

PeterG

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 09:22:11 pm »
Had the same issue. I had to use the full URL to get to the home and config pages. I rarely ever use the radar page, so can this default to the home page instead?

neilmurg

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 10:09:46 pm »
Actually I like it (defaulting to Radar), there's a lot more status info on there now - it's more relevant in flight, and Home and Config are still available. (Network now more relevant too)
I'd just forgotten how to get to Home (the HM button), but it's now more obvious with the Goto button (imo).

PeterG

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 11:24:06 pm »
Personally I find the Home page best, as it shows the connection status clearly, but it's chacun a son gout

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 09:19:10 am »
Hi All,

Despite my involvement in pre-release testing, the default to RADAR Screen came as something of a surprise to me and I’m still trying to get used to this new functionality. I’m guessing the ‘reason’ for this change is to encourage more use of the RADAR screen - which I have to say I personally almost never use - except in testing as I normally run SkyDemon - together with an Aircrew Traffic Display (mounted at eye level on the front strut of my plane). I have several concerns about this change, so haven’t yet made up my mind as to whether it’s a positive move or not.

You are correct, Neil, that Lee has added additional status info to the RADAR Screen, but my own preference - which I have always ‘taught’ new users - is to power up PilotAware immediately after engine start (to avoid brown-outs), then whilst waiting for the engine to warm up, connect to the PAW WiFi, then select 192.168.1.1 on their browser and check the Home Screen for ‘greens’ to indicate that all is well with PAW before opening their EFB and starting flight recording. To this end, especially for those of our users who are not particularly ‘computer savvy’, I always set up a set of 3 ‘shortcuts’ on their phone or tablet desktop pointing to 1). Settings, 2). 192.168.1.1 via their Browser, and 3). their EFB - in that order as a prompt. I have found this extremely reliable in helping more ‘forgetful’ users avoid the common faults (which even regular ‘non-techie’ users often exhibit) of forgetting to connect to the PAW WiFi, or trying to ‘go flying’ before their PAW has a GPS fix, etc.

Even with the ‘improved’ status reporting on the RADAR screen, it still gives less input on system status than the Home Screen, so for my money I’m not convinced this will be as effective. I also have some serious issues with the size and location of the new ‘Go to Page’ button - especially as I need to change screens regularly in flight in an open cockpit aircraft.

I had intended to discuss these issues with Lee prior to release, but unfortunately was caught unawares and didn’t get the chance.

Best Regards
Peter
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 09:22:04 am by exfirepro »

Ian Melville

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 03:56:48 pm »
I prefer the original Home screen.

Please make it a selectable choice?

Cheers
Ian

AlanG

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 08:55:41 pm »
It's easy peasy to set your own start screen.  Just navigate to it using the buttons to start with then, whilst your on the Home screen, just use your browser  settings to save it as a bookmark on your device, (phone/tablet,) home screen for easy access ever after.  saves you having to type 192.168.1.1 into your browser every time.

That's how I didn't even know that it now defaulted to the Radar screen. ;D

Alan
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 08:57:20 pm by AlanG »

neilmurg

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 10:50:30 am »
Hi All,...I normally run SkyDemon - together with an Aircrew Traffic Display (mounted at eye level on the front strut of my plane)...
...power up PilotAware immediately after engine start (to avoid brown-outs), then whilst waiting for the engine to warm up, connect to the PAW WiFi, then select 192.168.1.1 on their browser and check the Home Screen for ‘greens’ to indicate that all is well with PAW before opening their EFB and starting flight recording...
Best Regards
Peter
Yes I do similar as a 'after power check' check. Including checking I can hear spoken warnings, in our case via SD - Bluetooth - Audio Panel. As you can imagine there are a few links in that chain. PAw audio is also routed to the panel, but people seem to prefer the fewer warnings + airspace / runway.
My running apps for flight are SD, Chrome (PAw) and a backup Artificial Horizon app
I'm experimenting with having 3 Chrome tabs open for Radar, Home, Config; I may add Network and Metar
I will only routinely toggle between SD and Radar - to check ATOM count/QNH

One affect of the effective traffic warnings is that I don't like busy radio channels that spam the warnings!

SGS66

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 07:40:36 pm »
Just in case i messed up the update i did both flights today with the old software.

I need not have worried.

Arriving back at base as PilotAware was already linked to my Ipad based EFB and my Ipad has mobile data I selected the update App and clicked on the update icon and all of the next steps performed FLAWLESSLY

Well done everybody.

All the best for 2022