Author Topic: Clubhouse Display  (Read 2767 times)

ikcarusflyer

Clubhouse Display
« on: December 28, 2021, 09:27:15 am »
Has anyone managed to successfully produce a clubhouse display to show the 360radar overlay of traffic, as picked up by OGN?

I've had a go with various raspberry pi (4b+ being the latest) but they can't handle the graphics rendering. Keen to hear what others have done?

steveu

Re: Clubhouse Display
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 03:18:53 pm »
Has anyone managed to successfully produce a clubhouse display to show the 360radar overlay of traffic, as picked up by OGN?

I've had a go with various raspberry pi (4b+ being the latest) but they can't handle the graphics rendering. Keen to hear what others have done?

I'm not sure about the OGN bit.

If you point a web browser at the LAN IP address for the ground station, you'll get a menu and if you pick the Radar option it takes you onto an ATOM 360Radar page.

I used a Pi 3b, and loaded Raspbian Lite. I found instructions to run it in kiosk mode with no keyboard or mouse. I copied a script that loads 2,3 or more pages into Chrome with a script and then does a Ctrl-Tab to change between tabs at a preset time interval.

I set the time interval to 45 seconds and the pages are the ATOM one, the METAR one and XC Weather.

Turn on, it works, turn off when done.

I used a basic monitor running at 1280x1024 or 1024x768, it might be that if you try and run 4K res, the Pi struggles...

ikcarusflyer

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 10:48:17 pm »
That sounds like the perfect solution! It could indeed be 4k... I did struggle with the idea that the RPi couldn't load the ATOM 360radar page.

Do you have an image or a copy of your script?

steveu

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 08:24:59 am »
That sounds like the perfect solution! It could indeed be 4k... I did struggle with the idea that the RPi couldn't load the ATOM 360radar page.

Details are here:

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,2024.msg21591.html#msg21591

ikcarusflyer

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 10:09:17 pm »

Details are here:

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,2024.msg21591.html#msg21591

Thank you!

Vic

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 03:19:13 pm »
It should work with a fairly basic (and cheap) smart TV that has a browser function in the clubhouse!

ikcarusflyer

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 10:16:24 pm »
All functioning thanks to Steveu! Kiosk mode worked great (smart TV couldn't render 360radar graphics)

It should be an essential install for every clubhouse!

Keithvinning

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 03:04:05 pm »
Thank's Steve U for providing the Kiosk link.

I have just put up a blog post on the website outlining the effect of the CAA's latest ruling, via CAP 670 issued in December 2021, on the use of CAA unapproved systems at aerodromes.

The result is that ATOM Stations can now be used for situational awareness but cannot be used for giving advice through a Flight Information Service by an ATCO or FISO.

We have over 120 ATOM stations now in use at airstrips and airfields so this is good news. However, as most of these sites (but by no means all) don't have ATCO's and FISO's a Flight Information Service cannot be provided anyway.

ATOMs are now used in several very large airfields including those with Primary RADAR so over time we will be able to heed the advice in CAP670 and check the information provided against real-world experience. Hopefully, this will provide evidence that some of the data is in fact good enough for inclusion in the provision of FIS reports and thereby contribute to aviation safety as it has at Turweston and other sites.

The Blog post can be found at https://www.pilotaware.com/post/cap670-and-atom

Thanks again for helping Steve, I hope that lots of others hook up redundant flat-screen televisions for the best Situational Awareness screen available today.