Author Topic: Verifying Mode S ES ADS-B Out transponder setup - Can PilotAware help?  (Read 80565 times)

SteveHutt

Re: Verifying Mode S ES ADS-B Out transponder setup - Can PilotAware help?
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2015, 06:10:40 pm »
Works for me, John,

Here is a direct link to the Funke PDF.

http://docs.fasvig.info/ADS-B/Funke_TRT800A-H_Connection_uncertified_GPS.pdf

Steve
Steve Hutt

ianfallon

« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2015, 02:50:26 pm »
Thanks for this Steve!

flying_john

« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2015, 07:47:33 pm »
Thankyou Steve - looks like I will have to get my own upgraded.

Do we know whether they need full +/- 12v RS232 or whether it copes with +/- 5v TTL RS232.

John

FERRYAIR

« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2015, 08:19:18 pm »
I am glad that I saw this post about 999km returns  8) I was wondering why I was getting returns from that far away but now I know they could  be a lot closer  :o

BTW, for those wondering, Lee advised rows with DIST-KM of 999.000 are Mode C/S (non-ADS-B) broadcasts.
Thanks for that! was looking at that today and wondering how I was capturing a/c at 999km!

Admin

« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2015, 08:24:25 pm »
In the 20151205 release the web interface has been improved quite a bit

SteveHutt

« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2015, 08:49:48 pm »
Do we know whether they need full +/- 12v RS232 or whether it copes with +/- 5v TTL RS232.
John
John,
Pretty sure it is expecting 12v+ and a common ground on the RS232 connection, though how tolerant of variation it is I do not know. The TRT800, like most avionics, will probably get around 13.8v from the alternator.
Steve
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 08:54:42 pm by SteveHutt »
Steve Hutt

Admin

« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2015, 09:40:15 pm »
Rs232 and rs232-ttl are totally incompatible, so please check with the manufacturer.
It is highly likely that it requires classic rs232, ie +/- 12v
The issue with ttl us that it is also inverted logic, not just voltage levels

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 10:27:39 pm by Admin »

ianfallon

« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2015, 11:27:46 pm »
Ours appears to be too old to upgrade - funny as it basically seems to work !!

SteveHutt

« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2015, 12:45:09 am »
Hi Ian,

After I received the document I phoned the chap up in Germany and quizzed him on the minimum version as it conflicted with advice others had been given that had been shared with me.

If, by "basically seems to work", you mean it outputs SIL=0 and SDA=0 then that may well be true.

However..... I was advised by NATS that a couple of transponders in their uncertified GPS ADS-B trial output faulty GPS position coordinates (flipped minus sign on LAT or LONG). And the Funke chap on Friday said that there were bugs in the pre-v5.3 code to do with intermittent faulty GPS position. I put 2 and 2 together!!!

As I now understand it, Funke started providing support for ADS-B from v4.8 onwards but 100% correct support for uncertified GPS ADS-B is only from v5.3 or later.

Steve
Steve Hutt

Moffrestorer

« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2015, 11:13:22 am »
If anyone has a Becker BXP6401 transponder (I recall Welsh Flyer does), I complained to the company about them setting SDA=2 after they indicated they would NOT update the firmware, and the SDA setting also seemed at odds with the fact that SIL was set to zero. I let  them know that they appeared to be out of step with other manufacturers in these matters.

I received a reply from their General Manager that they will update their ADS-B offerings to support this but we will have to wait until second quarter of 2016.

SteveHutt

« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2015, 11:38:40 am »
Yep, re: Becker, I have now had a response acknowledging receipt of my request for a statement on support for uncertified GPS from their GM saying that one of their Technical guys will come back to me with that statement. He also mentioned the 2016Q2 timeframe for support as stated above.

Steve
Steve Hutt

ianfallon

« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2015, 12:23:47 pm »
Hi Ian,

After I received the document I phoned the chap up in Germany and quizzed him on the minimum version as it conflicted with advice others had been given that had been shared with me.

If, by "basically seems to work", you mean it outputs SIL=0 and SDA=0 then that may well be true.

However..... I was advised by NATS that a couple of transponders in their uncertified GPS ADS-B trial output faulty GPS position coordinates (flipped minus sign on LAT or LONG). And the Funke chap on Friday said that there were bugs in the pre-v5.3 code to do with intermittent faulty GPS position. I put 2 and 2 together!!!

As I now understand it, Funke started providing support for ADS-B from v4.8 onwards but 100% correct support for uncertified GPS ADS-B is only from v5.3 or later.

Steve

Interesting. By "basically seemed to work" I mean no SIL/SDA but GPS coords look reasonable.

SteveHutt

« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2015, 01:13:40 pm »
Interesting. By "basically seemed to work" I mean no SIL/SDA but GPS coords look reasonable.
That sounds very much like ADS-B Version 0 to me, Ian
Does it show Vers 0 in the PAW Traffic Display?
Cheers,
Steve
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:19:15 pm by SteveHutt »
Steve Hutt

Admin

« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2015, 01:39:54 pm »
That sounds very much like ADS-B Version 0 to me, Ian
Does it show Vers 0 in the PAW Traffic Display?
Cheers,
Steve

I dont think this firmware rev is outputting 'operational status messages', so there are no values whatsoever
Thx
Lee

ianfallon

« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2015, 02:02:38 pm »
I've not done a lot of testing but appears to show up in FR24 sensibly and not as TMLAT !