Author Topic: Verifying Mode S ES ADS-B Out transponder setup - Can PilotAware help?  (Read 81259 times)

mortimera

Re: Verifying Mode S ES ADS-B Out transponder setup - Can PilotAware help?
« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2016, 12:13:39 am »
If anyone has a Becker BXP6401 transponder (I recall Welsh Flyer does), I complained to the company about them setting SDA=2 after they indicated they would NOT update the firmware, and the SDA setting also seemed at odds with the fact that SIL was set to zero. I let  them know that they appeared to be out of step with other manufacturers in these matters.

I received a reply from their General Manager that they will update their ADS-B offerings to support this but we will have to wait until second quarter of 2016.

Hi does anyone know if Becker has updated the SDA code and if so how to resolve this for a BXP6401 already installed? Thanks

Pete

« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2016, 12:46:17 am »
Just FYI on approval, already covered on this thread.

I did get approval in May 2016 for Trig TT31 using MGL uncertified GPS from the LAA and I sent in the mail received from Nats for a flight I covered April 2016 from Friedrichschafen (EDNY)  to UK (EGCG).

"I am pleased to say your ADS-B data matches the acceptance criteria for a non certified GPS source and a sample of your data-
For information, the NATS’ trial has officially finished and the flying associations are now supporting the validation of Mode-S/GPS modifications for their respective members.  If you are flying a part 23 aircraft on the EASA register then a registered aircraft engineer should have completed and signed off the modification to connect a non certified GPS source to your Trig TT31"

;)
The mind is like an Umbrella, it only works when it is open!

Moffrestorer

« Reply #137 on: June 12, 2016, 09:39:15 am »
Hi mortimera,

I emailed Becker Support for an update on the proposed fix affecting SDA and SIL settings, on 4th June. Copied it to Steve Hutt of FASVIG and Ade Price at NATS, also, so they are in the loop and can bring pressure to bear if at all possible.

So far, no reply from Becker!

Annoyingly, the reply from their GM that I received early December 2015, seems to have been deleted so I don't know his name, otherwise I would have sent it direct.

Regards,

Chris

IainM

« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2017, 01:17:31 pm »
If anyone has a Becker BXP6401 transponder (I recall Welsh Flyer does), I complained to the company about them setting SDA=2 after they indicated they would NOT update the firmware, and the SDA setting also seemed at odds with the fact that SIL was set to zero. I let  them know that they appeared to be out of step with other manufacturers in these matters.

I received a reply from their General Manager that they will update their ADS-B offerings to support this but we will have to wait until second quarter of 2016.

Hi does anyone know if Becker has updated the SDA code and if so how to resolve this for a BXP6401 already installed? Thanks

Does anyone know what the current status is on Becker transponders?  Was there any update since this.  Looks like they will work to transmit adsb out, but not with the correct SIL/SDA if I am reading this correctly.

Welsh Pilot

« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2017, 07:26:04 pm »
It will depend on the year of manufacture of the transponder. I purchased mine in 2008 so firstly it will require a software AND hardware upgrade for ADS-B. The bad news is the SDA/SIL setting will still be set incorrectly. It requires a further Firmware upgrade to allow SDA/SIL to be changed to 0. However, they are dragging their feet somewhat in producing the required Firmware to allow adjustment of the required settings.
Myself and many others purchased this transponder as it was advertised as ADS-B capable. It turns out it is not.......but will be after spending a few hundred pounds more on it!
The date after which they were ABS-B ready from the factory can be found on the Becker website (Germany). I think it was 2012.

Moffrestorer

« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2017, 11:32:03 pm »
I received a reply from Becker Support in October 2016 to effect that an "internal change request" is being implemented to "edit" the firmware so SIL and SDA settings can be altered. They promised to keep me updated in the matter, but I'm guessing it's going to take a while for the work to be completed.  No telling what they would want to charge for the eventual firmware update?

At Flyer Live, I learned of the new Trig TN72 TABS certified GPS source, which has a SIL = 1. The source is reasonably priced at £350 (+VAT??), and I emailed Harry Mendelssohn, as Becker agent, to find out whether this could legally be connected to the BXP6401 to give ADS-B Out. Presumably with this SIL status, you would be visible to TCAS etc. so advantageous over a non-certified source with SIL of 0 (which will be ignored by TCAS). The HM technical guys are meant to be following this up with Becker, with whom they are regularly in contact, because I am unclear whether the SIL of the GPS source would be transmitted in the ADS-B transmission, or would it be the SIL (=0) of the Transponder which is transmitted, thus negating the advantage of having a certified source? Yet to receive any response to these latter questions.

exfirepro

« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2017, 11:24:24 am »
Hi Chris,

I'm also interested in this issue. I currently run a Trig TT21 ADSB Out via an uncertified GPS source, so have to transmit SDA/SIL '0', so am interested in replacing the 'non-cert' GPS with one of Trig's TN72s in an effort to improve visibility to CAT/ATC. From discussion with my Trig contacts, however, it's still not clear whether this will allow me to transmit SIL 1, as proof of the 'System' integrity might require input from the equipment manufacturer (In my case Trig) and/or an 'approved' supplier/installer.

It will almost certainly require a decision /approval by the CAA.

Regards

Peter

gvpsj

« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2017, 11:38:51 am »
Hi Folks, Jumping in with both feet! Does the altitude input also need to be certified? John

exfirepro

« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2017, 05:10:35 pm »
John,

I obviously can't answer definitively, but my personal thoughts are that if I am using 'All TRIG' equipment, (such as TT21 transponder paired with a TN72 GPS source), TRIG should be able to state that the combination of Transponder and GPS meets the requirements of SDA / SIL 1 (or whatever). My guess, however, is that the CAA view would be that this actually depends to a greater or lesser degree on the standard to which the 'system' is subsequently installed. Whether they would be prepared to delegate responsibility for approving SIL 1 (or higher) installations to for example the LAA/BMAA time alone will tell.

In view of recent posts in the various forums, I would like to think the authorities would be supportive of efforts to improve standards and increase the visibility of aircraft to each other and to ATC, but in my experience officialdom moves forward very slowly and sometimes needs a very substantial shove in the right direction.

Regards

Peter