Author Topic: Verifying Mode S ES ADS-B Out transponder setup - Can PilotAware help?  (Read 81250 times)

Smaragd

Re: Verifying Mode S ES ADS-B Out transponder setup - Can PilotAware help?
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2016, 10:30:48 am »
Thanks Lee, but what "Traffic button"? I can only see Configure and Logging. Am I perhaps on a software that doesn't have this feature?

Admin

« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2016, 12:06:42 pm »
Thanks Lee, but what "Traffic button"? I can only see Configure and Logging. Am I perhaps on a software that doesn't have this feature?

Yes - you are on an old release

Thx
Lee

Smaragd

« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2016, 08:46:54 pm »
Thanks Lee, all working now.

fly2alpha

« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2016, 11:25:28 am »
Can someone advise a current source for the USB - RS232 cable (with PL2303 chipset) to connect my PAW unit to my Trig TT31 transponder ?  Also the specific pin connections required to the Trig TT31 unit ?

Admin

« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2016, 11:44:37 am »
try searching ebay using the search terms
USB 2.0 TO SERIAL RS232 DB9

fly2alpha

« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2016, 12:16:01 pm »
Thanks for that. Have already acquired a UGREEN USB to RS232 DB9 Serial Adaptor Cable via eBay (with Prolific PL2303 Chipset) but the circuitry appears to be integral with the DB9 connector. However, according to the TT31 installation manual there are 2 connectors on the back of the TT31. Both Molex edge connectors, one with 24 contacts and the other with 12 contacts. Both appear to have RS232 dedicated pins. I think that the 24pin connector is already in use, with presumably only some of the pins connected, but as I recall, the 12pin connector is not used at present. This is termed the Secondary Interface. Can you advise what pins need to be connected to facilitate the ADSB Out ? Also, do I have to cannibalise the DB9  or just find or fabricate a DB9 to Molex 12 Pin edge connector ??

Admin

« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2016, 12:52:49 pm »
All you should require from the DB9 is the TX & GND signals.
Where these connect to your transponder I cannot say, but I think others have done this with the TT31.

Try searching the forum, you should be able to find the other users.

tnowak

« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2016, 08:35:47 am »
I don't have the TT31 (I have a TT21) but, looking at the Trig installation manual, it looks like you simply connect your GPS data to pin 3 and GPS ground to pin 1 of the 12 pin connector.
Personally, I would avoid having a DB9 to Molex adapter cable. Should be fairly easy to cut the DB9 connector off and re-terminate it with a Molex connector.
Can't guarantee it until I look but I may have some Molex pins if you don't have any.
Tony Nowak

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2016, 09:22:39 am »
Should be fairly easy to cut the DB9 connector off and re-terminate it with a Molex connector.

The electronics in these things are in the DB9 connector so I wouldn't do that...  :P

Moffrestorer

« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2016, 10:00:45 am »
I think you will need to make up a D sub 9 socket , wiring it to the ground and GPS TX + and - of the transponder rear connector. Your USB-RS232 cable then connects the PAW to this new socket which can be mounted or cable tied beneath the panel.

fly2alpha

« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2016, 12:03:01 pm »
Thanks for that info. Looks like the made up lead is the way to go. Pete also provided good info following a PM. Can now make progress and look forward to the new RF module etc. Hopefully, will post when the ADSB out is up and running.

Andy Fell

« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2016, 12:27:47 am »
These work well.
Buy the cable with wire ends.. the electronics is built into the USB connector end..

Comes out as RS232 compliant levels, which can be wired into your TT21.

http://uk.farnell.com/ftdi/usb-rs232-we-1800-bt-0-0/cable-usb-a-rs232-serial-convertor/dp/1686450

flying_john

« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2016, 01:14:47 pm »
I have been through several variants of the USB to RS232 and at present am still no further forward.  There was a wiring error in my Funke TRT transponder D type connector that had a Brown wire that was supposed to be connected to the RS232 Data input of the transponder but was, for some unknown reason, connected to a pin marked "Not Used". It does reduce your confidence in  the manufacturer.  Nevertheless I now have a 9 Way D type free socket wired to the correct input pin  + GND connection on the same plug and have tried it with 2 different convertor leads plus a so called convertor module and no squitter is received on either the Paw (with my ID changed) or on FR24.

There is an advertised test mode (20) on the TRT transponder which displays a small "p" , according to the manual when ES is working. However when there is no connection at all on the Data input line to the TRT transponder this indication flashes away giving you the impression you have ES - but no.

So,  to remove any doubt as to the suitability of the other recommended USB to RS232 cables (& I still cant see why there is a config disc with these other cables)  can anyone categorically say that this one, linked to in previous post from Farnell, actually works. Otherwise I will be starting a cable museum with all these cables I have !.

John

Andy Fell

« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2016, 05:22:40 pm »
It would depend if the FTDI chipset is supported by the SW drivers...

flying_john

« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2016, 06:55:19 pm »
Software drivers cannot be loaded in into the PAw. What is needed is a standalone hardware solution, i.e usb to 232 protocol + level shifting.

John