British Forum > General Discussion

Flightradar24 track error

(1/3) > >>

frankmcm:
My colleagues followed my recent crossing of the Irish Sea on Flightradar24, and hugely enjoyed my zigzag route line.  Some deviations are 20 miles from track.  My SkyDemon log, using PAW as navigation source, shows my actual and much straighter route.
I also have an accurate breadcrumb trail on my Garmin GDL795. I filed a flight plan and used a Basic service from appropriate controllers all the way across, and nothing to suggest that my routing was strange.
So am I really sending out inaccurate position data?   I have a Funke transponder connected to PAW.
I’m not sure if FR gets its data from ground radar, or if it uses my extended squatter.  In any case I would hate to broadcast data that falsely suggests I may be breaching controlled airspace, or might send a rescue helicopter to an erroneous last known position when I ditch.
Do I need to check something? Pointers would be appreciated.

Admin:
My guess would be that you are not in fact outputting an extended squitter
And the track you are seeing is a poor implementation of MLAT (multilateration)

Have you checked vector for your adsb performance?
Thx
Lee

frankmcm:
Good thought.   I am grounded for a few days maintenance but will check this at earliest opportunity and report back. Thanks.

frankmcm:
So I have absolutely nothing on Vector, despite flying around Lancashire a few days ago. And I have plenty of traffic showing on screen.  More research required.

exfirepro:
Hi Frank,

Strange, as there are lots of active PAW ATOM-GRID Ground Stations in and around Lancashire. Unfortunately, Vector doesn't currently report Mode-S due to the extremely high levels of data storage and processing required to do so, however Vector should at least be reporting your PAW P3i transmissions - even if you aren't transmitting Extended Squitter ADS-B.

As Lee has commented, the most likely explanation for a 'jaggy' track on flight reporting websites is poor multilateration (triangulation of position) due to poor reception of Mode-S from your transponder to their Ground Receiving Stations (they certainly DON'T get reports from official Ground Radar!).

If you care to share some details - Aircraft Reg / ICAO, date and time of last flight and points of departure / arrival - I will take a look and try to work out what might be going on.

You can PM me via the details via the message board if you don't want to make the details public.

Best Regards
Peter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version