Author Topic: Mode C issue - Now Resolved  (Read 2862 times)

G-JWTP

Mode C issue - Now Resolved
« on: September 16, 2021, 06:35:07 pm »
Hi All,

Could anyone shed some light.

I don't think the unit is working properly.

I only get a red warning against mode C

I've tried rebooting and also downloading new software but the problem remains.

Flying today I had zero indications of any type of traffic.

Any thoughts would be gratefully recieved.

Please see image.

John
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 05:42:27 pm by exfirepro »

PaulSS

Re: Mode C issue
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 08:03:51 pm »
That's not Mode C, it's your ADSB In.

Check the ADSB dongle and antenna connections. If it's orange it means it's working but just hasn't seen an ADSB target for a while. Red means it ain't working but that could be as simple as the dongle has wiggled loose.

G-JWTP

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 07:11:36 am »

Hi Paul,

Done all of that even changed the dongle positions, it all remains exactly the same as shown above.

Looks like this is going back to PAW.

John.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 09:27:53 am »
Hi John,

My immediate first thought on checking your screenshot was either dislodged or defective 1090 SDR (the receiver dongle inside the end cover of Rosetta with the cable from the 1090 antenna connected to it (the other dongle is the GPS). As you have already checked that it isn’t dislodged (thanks Paul), I would normally just suggest dropping an e-mail to Ash at support@pilotaware.com who should be able to arrange a replacement SDR.

I am however concerned by your comment that ‘I only get a red warning against mode c’...

Can you please elaborate... are you saying you definitely get ‘Mode-C’ warnings (but not Mode-S or ADSB) and if so in what form and on what (SkyDemon, EVFR, PAW RADAR ??) and at what reported relative altitude? - or do you mean you are seeing Mode-C reports on the PAW Traffic Screen? Please confirm how you are determining that the warnings you are seeing are Mode-C.

If (as seems likely) your 1090 receive dongle isn’t working, you shouldn’t be seeing any traffic reports at all - except from other PilotAwares (the P3i side is handled by the Bridge board, which is completely separate from the 1090 side).

Ideally, power up the unit outside in the clear and post some screenshots of the Configure and Traffic Screens after it has been running for a reasonable time - and if you can, post shots of any of the mystery ‘Mode-C’ reports. This should help us diagnose what is actually going on and we should be able to get your unit back operational.

Best Regards

Peter

G-JWTP

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 05:47:56 pm »

Hi Peter,

Sorry this is my bad English and technical know how.

I only get PAW equipped aircraft shown on either the radar screen or SD display.

I don't get any ADSB aircraft shown anywhere. I assumed , wrongly , that because the top of the PAW was marked 1090 Mhz it was the mode C part.

I've cleaned all the pins with a quality solvent and repositioned the two dongles at the base of the unit but I still get the red indication on the home screen and nothing on radar and SD.

I'm off to Cardiff tomorrow for the fly in so ill turn the unit on at about 9.00 and off when I return home so it should get a long run.

I'll post some screen shots when I get back.

I have sent Lee an email.

Best regards,

John.

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 09:36:57 pm »
Hi John,

Thanks for the clarification. It definitely sounds like a dodgy SDR on the 1090 side, which will prevent receive of 1090 ADSB, Mode S and Mode C. The screenshots from tomorrow should hopefully confirm. If I’m correct, a new dongle should cure the problem.

Best Regards

Peter

G-JWTP

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 05:23:35 pm »
Hi Peter,

Managed this today.

Sorry about the quality.

I didn't get any ADSB or Mode S/C targets all day on a round trip Rochester to Cardiff.

I did get a few PAW hits when flying past some gliders so I think you may be right about the SDR being NFG.

I'll call Ash. tomorrow and see about a replacement.

Thanks for the input.

John.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 05:26:56 pm by G-JWTP »

PaulSS

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 09:50:01 pm »
If it's orange it means it's working but just hasn't seen an ADSB target for a while

Curious. You say you're not seeing anything but what filters have you got set in PAW and SkyDemon. The fact that you've got orange against 1090 suggests it might not be the dongle that is the problem.

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 10:36:23 pm »
I would agree Paul,

I was surprised to see the 1090 Status reporting as ‘Orange’ and ‘Unavailable’ yet with a significant number of previous reports (13174) though (0) new reports since (??).

Perhaps Lee could comment.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 10:38:03 pm by exfirepro »

G-JWTP

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 08:57:51 am »
Peter,

Attached is a copy of the filter page.

John.

Admin

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 10:29:37 am »
This looks like a setup issue
The 1090 receiver is reporting more than 13,000 decoded packets
This is a mixture of adsb, mode c/s
Amber means no data in the last 5 seconds

When the screenshot was taken, was the Pilotaware device located where it could directly see the sky ?

Finally, a track file of your flight will be definitive if you can provide

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 11:33:29 am »
Hi John,

You still haven't fully clarified what you meant by 'I only get a red warning against mode c', though from the later information, I think we can assume you are referring to the 1090 Status Indicator on the PAW Home Screen - the function of which we have hopefully now clarified.

Thanks for the additional info. Lee has confirmed what I alluded to last night, that although the original Home Screen indicated NO 1090 reception during the period the unit had been running, the later screenshot certainly indicates that your PAW had been receiving some 1090 reports prior to the screenshot being taken, which reduces (though may not completely eliminate) the likelihood of an SDR or antenna fault. I know it sounds simple, but if you haven't already done so, please check the antenna connections and that you have the correct antennas on the correct sockets - the short one on the right when looking at the PAW with the label uppermost - and as Lee has advised try to run the unit for a longer period outside where it has a clear view of the sky. A screenshot(s) of the 'Traffic Screen' from during this test will be helpful to let us see what is going on, as this shows all traffic received - even where it is subsequently filtered by PAW due to your selected PAW filter settings and not sent to the Nav Display.

In this context, I notice from your latest screenshot that you have your reporting filters for Positional Contacts set to 20Km and +/- 2000ft. While this is fairly 'wide', we normally advise users to leave the filters for known position targets* wide open on PAW (which ensures that all data is passed to your Nav System) and use the filters in the NAV system to control what it actually displays - unless of course you are using a Nav System that doesn't include its own Range/Relative Altitude Filters.

* This section only affects known position targets, i.e. ADSB, PAW and re-broadcast Flarm or Mode-S MLAT.

As Lee has advised, the track log from the relevant flight (or extended ground trial) will be conclusive in indicating what traffic your unit has actually received.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Peter

G-JWTP

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 12:26:26 pm »

Hi Peter,

Yes, red, as shown in the first picture.

Yesterday I plugged the PAW into its Anker powercore at about 10.00AM
Preflight then flew,

Rochester OCK Filton Cardiff Docks Cardiff. 

On returning to Rochester I unplugged the PAW so it had about 5-6 hours of running. Not detected anything either eay except for some gliders.

Now the route took me through Farnborough CAS that was very busy I even had to hold while a Citation flew round me and it never picked that up!

Our aircraft is a Europa so is made of composite, and we haven't had any issues to date.

The antennas are in the correct holes and I've swopped the dongles about a bit, cleaned the contacts and put them back in correct slots.

Whats a track file and where would I find it?

I think I'll send the unit back to you Lee and you can have a look at it as I'm none to technical.

John.

exfirepro

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2021, 01:46:00 pm »
Hi John,

You can find the Track files under the ‘Tracks’ tab - which is at the extreme right top of the PAW Screens after accessing via 192.168.1.1. They can be downloaded and you can open them using for example Microsoft Notebook, but most of it will be gobbledegook unless you know what to look for.

If you want to send the unit back for checking, contact Ash via support@pilotaware.com and please report any findings back on here afterwards.

Best Regards

Peter

G-JWTP

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2021, 02:54:59 pm »

Hi All,

All resolved.

The 1090 reciever appears to have been faulty. No idea why.

During normal operation the main display/home page showed this SDR as being unavailable, then OK, then unavailable again and so on, during any flight.

I spoke to Ashley at PAW about this.He has sent me a new SDR and fingers crossed. After the last flight there was no drop out or unavailable messages.

Faulty kit seems to be the issue so well done PAW.

John.