British Forum > General Discussion

TIS-B/FIS-B Trial commences from Lasham and Goodwood

<< < (2/2)

Mig29fuk:
PilotAware has been in existence for over 6 years now and I have been a User from as soon as the first verison was available after implementation of Bridge.
Even the pre-Bridge version proved the concept albeit with very poor distance performance.
In the ensuing 6 years the PAW Team have busily improved its capability but always with an eye on what is accurate and truly feasible.
My point is simple....... PAW works and is based on experience through design and implementation with very open feedback.
This MLAT version is a step back if accuracy and resilience is measured.
Thanks for great explanation on this exciting new M-LAT opportunity.........NOT! >:(
Gerry

JCurtis:
I liked a recent comment on Flyer...

--- Quote ---For example, TV masts offer huge line of sight coverage. So popping one of these ground stations even half way up would do the trick:
But other masts/towers are available if this is an officially sanctioned and licensed installation.
--- End quote ---

The majority of UK TV transmitter sites are privately owned by Arqiva, they rent use of the infrastructure to the broadcast companies.  Just 'popping' anything onto a TV mast is an exercise not to be undertaken lightly, nor cheaply.

If they design, build, and certify some suitable ground and mast equipment, you might be able to rent access to one of their masts.  You'd have to pay them to install and maintain it too.  Expect this to be a multi-year process and ongoing contract.  Plus add on the require data links to make it all work.

Other sites may be suitable, but there hasn't really been any 'national infrastructure' for a number of years now.

I wonder how such a national reception and TIS-B/FIS-B broadcast network would be funded, both for the initial capital investment and ongoing running costs.  No doubt part of the remit of the trial will be to determine this.  If the plan is not to build a National rx network to feed these re-broadcast stations, where do they think the data will come from?  All of the flight tracking website data sources rely on a multitude of privately run RX stations.

Still, it makes entertaining reading.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version