Author Topic: Radar page blank  (Read 4738 times)

DY691

Radar page blank
« on: August 20, 2021, 06:28:44 pm »
Hello to all
A friend who just received a Rosetta has a problem with the display of the radar page on his iPhone and iPad. The configuration is now correct on his iPad but the problem remains on the iPhone
The different buttons don't seem to work, the page remains blank despite pressing the Disp.... buttons
Attached his configuration page and a copy of the radar page.
The Rosetta works correctly and the traffic page shows the other devices well...
Thanks for your help

AlanG

Re: Radar page blank
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 08:30:43 pm »
Hi

As far as I am aware there is nothing in any of the settings pages that have any control over the Radar page.
It looks to me like a Zoom setting on your device that is causing this.  I can achieve the same view as your screenshot by zooming in on my android device, (which is using Google Chrome) so that all I can see on screen is the buttons as in your shot.
I'm not an iphone user so cant help with settings on that device but on my android I have to ensure that I am not using the "Desktop Site" as this can create excessive zoom.

Regards
Alan

DY691

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 09:43:41 am »
Thank you for your answer
We will check the zoom settings and the equivalent of the desktop site...for iphone
What bothers me a little is that when we try to press the different buttons nothing happens ....

Admin

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 08:57:21 am »
What is the model and software version on the iphone ?
Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 11:21:42 am »
Hi All,

Lee, I am significantly confused by this report and having just run up one of my units running the same (20201101) software shown as being used in Guy's screenshots and having been unable to recreate this scenario, I have just had a conversation with AlanG in an attempt to clarify the situation.

Despite all our development testing and operational use of PAW over the years, neither I, nor Alan have any recollection of ever seeing a "Disp" button on the PAW RADAR screen in Public Release Versions (though I have a vague feeling that such a button may have existed in one of the very early Beta versions before it was replaced with the present 'flip/flop' selection option). I can, however, find no evidence of such a button on any of the many hundreds of screenshots of the multiple PAW versions I have tested/used since we introduced the PAW RADAR screen.

On all the versions I have screenshots for (except the very early RADAR versions which showed the button in this location as flip/flopping between "TCS1" AND "FLM1"), the button in this position as you are aware currently flip/flops between "TAS" OR "FLM", with no "Disp" option. Despite my best efforts, I have been completely unable to generate a "Disp" button on the 20201101 software, using a variety of older and up-to-date iPad minis (with both Safari and Chrome on both older and up-to-date versions of iPadOS) and android display options! The only untested issues as far as I'm concerned are the iPhone, - or whether some other (non Safari/Chrome) browser is being used.

Best Regards
Peter
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 11:24:13 am by exfirepro »

DY691

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 04:57:53 pm »
Thanks for your help
iPhone 5s IOS 14.7.1

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 07:41:53 pm »
Hi Guy,

What internet browser is your friend using?

Regards
Peter

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 10:36:17 pm »
UPDATE

I have just (pretty much accidentally) discovered the following...

After my tests earlier today, reported above, I shut down the PilotAware, but left the tab on Safari on this iPad Mini set up as connected to PAW Radar via 192.168.1.1.

The iPad then of course automatically reconnected to my Home Router and I have been using it for several other tasks throughout the day.

While looking for a tab I thought I had left open, I opened the 192.168.1.1 tab (with the PilotAware no longer running) and look what I found (see attachment).

It seems that the tab set up for PAW Radar on 192.168.1.1 has for some reason defaulted to the screen reported by Guy (Complete with the ‘Disp’ button) - presumably when it lost the feed from PilotAware.

Not sure exactly why it is happening, but it certainly seems to explain what has happened - loss of expected signal (or data) for whatever reason obviously causes the Radar Screen display on the tablet (or phone) to default to the ‘blank screen’ with inactive buttons. The ‘fix’ is to reconnect to the PilotAware WiFi Hotspot (in my case after rebooting the PilotAware) then refresh the Radar Tab and the ‘normal’ Radar Screen reappears.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 06:51:39 am by exfirepro »

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 09:15:46 am »
POSTSCRIPT

I have just checked my newest iPad Mini 5th Generation (running iPadOS 14.7.1), which was also left with the PAW Radar Screen on display when I turned the PilotAware off yesterday.

Surprisingly, this one hadn’t reverted to the same default, but instead merely reported a ‘Timeout Error’, with the previous Radar Display (including METARS) ‘frozen’ in the background - though this has now defaulted to the screen below, so it appears that the reaction to loss of data from PAW is iOS version related.

That doesn’t of course explain the loss of data in the first place, though that could easily be due to the device(s) jumping to a stronger local WiFi hotspot. Worth checking the PAW Home Screen for any sign of power issues though, Guy. Please let us know if you find anything.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 09:32:47 am by exfirepro »

DY691

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 05:17:09 pm »
Thank you Peter for your help.
Indeed I think I remember that his battery was not full at the time of the test with an alarm on the home page, after recharging the battery the data appeared well in the traffic page, but the damage was already done and although we connected on the address 192.168.1.1 the page on his iPhone is still white, On my iPhone X version 14.7.1 everything was ok.
As soon as I'm in contact with my friend we'll try to review everything.
To answer the initial question his browser is safari.
Have a nice evening
Guy

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 05:56:20 pm »
Guy,

Try telling the iPhone to ‘Forget the network’, then reconnect. If that doesn’t work clear the Safari Browser History and Website Data and try again. One or other should reset the page - probably the ‘Clear Browser History’ option.

Bon Chance

Peter

DY691

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 04:11:35 pm »
Well done Peter
The correct radar page screen came back after clearing the internet history on the iPhone

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2021, 07:52:14 pm »
Hi Guy,

I’m glad to hear that it worked. Thanks for letting us know - it all adds to the knowledge base for the benefit of others who might experience the same issue later.

A’ Bientot

Peter

Sean McDonald

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2022, 09:32:05 pm »
I referred to this in another thread. Have wiped three phones history wise and still get a blank screen for radar. This picture from an iPhone 4 which worked perfectly as a radar screen all last year.

Mystified by tech stuff!

Sean McDonald

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2022, 08:16:59 pm »
Just an update on this one. I have 5 phones which all worked as radar screens when tried last year but I ended up using the iPhone 4 as was best size, didn't go to sleep in use and the battery lasted for ages. Only one now, a Samsung, will work as radar. The remainder all have this 'Disp' icon on the screen and will not show a radar page despite having been wiped, rebooted etc.