British Forum > Technical Support

Clicking Sound in Headset

<< < (3/3)

GeoffreyC:

--- Quote from: Sparky67 on November 20, 2021, 07:25:36 pm ---I’m also now wondering whether this could possibly be interference from electric fences. The airfield is surrounded by farm land and the clicks seem to be heard the most just after taking off, or on approach. Does anyone know how often electric fences pulse their volts into the wire? If it’s around twice a second I will go and look for one in the same area with an am radio!

Thanks.

Martin

--- End quote ---

I think electric fences usually 'click' once every couple of seconds.  If you walk up to the fence (but not touch it) you can usually hear the clicking, or at least you can with my wife's horse fence.

Cheers, Geoffrey

Sparky67:
Sorry, I should have said we have flown with an ANR headset one side and PNR the other and have heard the clicks in both. Nothing to stop the ANR adding the noise to the common audio wiring of course. Or vice-versa even. The P3i antenna is a vehicle mobile-radio type mounted on the metal access plate into the rear of the instrument panel area. Something else to bear in mind though.

Last flight was an hour and we *may* have heard one click on approach, difficult to say though as it didn’t repeat. So still trying to work out whether it’s cured. Or not!

Cheers,

Martin

Sparky67:
Just to say the aircraft is currently awaiting a repair to an undercarriage leg and recovering in new fabric, so no updates on this for a while!

Martin

exfirepro:
Hi Martin,

Thanks for letting us know.

Best Regards

Peter

Deker:
Quick search shows electric fences can be a source of radio and Tv interference:-

"Sparking inside cracked or poor quality insulators causes interference.
Vegetation touching the fence line close to the radio can also cause sparking and therefore interference.
Poor earth.
Bad joints.

To locate sparking caused by leakage, faulty joins, broken wires or faulty insulators, walk the fence line with a transistor radio tuned off station on the AM band on high volume. The clicking will get louder as the fault is approached."

Deker.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version