Author Topic: Atom Station Uplinks  (Read 2247 times)

SGS66

Atom Station Uplinks
« on: August 04, 2021, 08:26:05 pm »
When an ATOM stn sees a PAW aircraft say aircraft "A" I take it the ATOM stn expects nearby PAW equipped aircraft will 'see' the aircraft "A" direct and consequently the ATOM stn does nothing. But other aircraft may not see "A" direct due to various circumstances. If aircraft "A" also has, say, mode-s it would be useful if the mode-s position of "A" was announced (if available) to all aircraft by the ATOM Stn. just in case.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 11:12:11 pm by SGS66 »

Admin

Re: Atom Station Uplinks
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 11:42:08 pm »
Hi
Have you watched the YouTube videos that explains the exact workings ?
Please let us know if this does not answer your question
Thx
Lee

AlanG

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 05:21:39 pm »
Hi SGS66

For reference the YouTube channel can be found at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp-wMB1aM62wnRMV4Tm-dw

Regards
Alan

SGS66

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 09:42:23 pm »
Thanks I have watched the vids.

My question regards the case where a nearby aircraft has both mode S and PAW and I have PAW and both of us are flying near ATOM ground stations.  If my aircraft detects the other aircraft PAW - PAW then great but because of obscuration PAW-PAW may be ineffective at a further moment in time. Should my aircraft, already detecting the other aircraft from its mode-s transmission ie same ICAO code, then receive MLAT data at that point in time albeit with obvious latency degraded info?

AlanG

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 02:14:03 pm »
Hi SGS66

Lee would have to give the definitive answer to this one but i would assume that if the other a/c PAW is obscured for whatever reason but you still receive his Mode S then you will receive either a Mode S/3D report if as you say in range of an Atom/Grid and if not then you should receive a non-directional audio traffic warning/banner alert depending on you choice of nav software.  This is what happens with my EasyVFR but I cannot speak for SkyDemon.

Regards
Alan

grahambaker

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 02:20:46 pm »
Isn't the good thing about PAW is that it maintains a table of all targets it receives, from whatever source, and cleverly integrates two or more signals into one when they are obviously the same aircraft?

What gets passed to the navigation app is then the single record for that aircraft target, with the highest level of positional data it can achieve from the merge of one or more signals at that point in time; this may change over time as signals related to the same target appear or disappear.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 02:23:59 pm by GrahamBaker »