Author Topic: Rosetta wifi failed in cruise  (Read 1216 times)

Mach2

Rosetta wifi failed in cruise
« on: July 26, 2021, 07:00:28 pm »
Having operated faultlessly since installation in RV-8, today after 30 minutes in the cruise, the wifi stopped working (to 2 ipads with SKD).  Checked with settings and no wifi detected.  After an hour on the ground at destination, powered up Anker USB supply and Rosetta wifi opened on both ipads for about a minute and then failed for the rest of the flight and after landing.  No wifi detected again.

Any suggestions for isolating the fault please?

John

Admin

Re: Rosetta wifi failed in cruise
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 04:25:00 pm »
Is the Anker supply a battery or an AUX adapter type ?

Have you connected anything else to the Anker supply ?

Have you modified the power type at all ?

thx
Lee

Mach2

Re: Rosetta wifi failed in cruise
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 01:55:35 pm »
Top customer service from PilotAware again-

Spoke to Ashley on the phone who was able to tell me it was the whole Rosetta device which had stopped working (and even what time and where the aircraft was!).  He said it was most likely a power supply problem but as the other devices supplied by the same USB Hub were still working he offered that I could send my device for test and repair.  But when I removed the Rosetta from behind the panel I found a kink in the power cable and when tested on the bench, wiggling the kink made the power cut off!  Problem found.

So it was my faulty USB cable which although sturdy was not the cable supplied with by PilotAware because I needed a shorter one to avoid a flight control interference issue.  Ashley tells me that the better cables they supply are available in different lengths from JuiceEBitz here.

https://www.juicebitz.co.uk/20awg-usb-20-type-a-male-to-angled-micro-b-fast-data-charger-cable-white

Thanks PilotAware :)