Author Topic: Have to manually connect to PAW every flight  (Read 1920 times)

Andrew Bill

Have to manually connect to PAW every flight
« on: July 02, 2021, 09:02:39 pm »
Hi, I have SD on my Huawei MediaPAd M5 Lite, connected to my PAW Rosetta. Everything is working great (excellent wifi strength) but each time I power on my PAW I need to manually click the connect to wifi button on my tablet. I cannot get it to automatically connect every time. If the power is cycled in flight then I need to exit SD, go to settings, connect to wifi and restart SD etc. Is this a known thing or is it a specific issue with my setup? Any ideas how I can get my tablet to automatically connect to my PAW (note: it is saved in the tablet it just wont connect automatically)?

Thank you
Andy

Ian Melville

Re: Have to manually connect to PAW every flight
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 09:24:20 pm »
On your tablet
Go into the settings>Connections>Wi-Fi>ADVANCED>Manage Networks
Select your PAW from the list and ensure Auto Reconnect is ticked.

Note, when testing make sure there are no other Wi-Fi, that it may latch onto.

Andrew Bill

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 09:36:10 pm »
On a friends mobile (whilst troubleshooting) he had the 'autoconnect' tick option. I am not seeing the autoconnect option on my tablet. There were other wifi networks at the same time. I will try it again with just my PAW on.

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 09:56:22 pm »
Other networks set to auto connect can be a pain. If too close to the clubhouse my PAW sometimes flips to the club WiFi.

Is there something called WiFi+ on your tablet. I think this has to be on to enable auto connect.

Andrew Bill

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 10:44:00 pm »
Yes I have wifi+ and it is enabled. The odd thing is the only wifi I have connected to at the airfield is my PAW. Although the tablet sees the other networks I've never connected to them. When I go home my tablet automatically connects to my home wifi. Its only my PAW that I need to hit the manual connect everytime. At the field today I did a forget network, history clear and restart.. it didn't make any difference. When I hit the connect it joins instantly..

Ian Melville

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 10:48:30 pm »
Don’t understand why you cannot see an auto connect per saved WiFi. Can you see it on your home WiFi?

JCurtis

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 11:08:26 am »
Auto-connect may not be available on open WiFi networks, only those with a password.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

MartC

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 03:37:50 pm »
Think this is the answer (add a password to the Pilotaware wifi connection). Our tablets (iPad and Samsung) connect to our Rosetta wifi automatically - once passworded, you don't need to enter again on 'known' networks.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 03:40:21 pm by MartC »

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 10:30:37 pm »
Hi All,

Coming late to this thread as I have been away.

I have to say that I have never used or applied a password to the PilotAware WiFi on any of my many PilotAware devices - or phones/tablets, whether Android or iOS - or any of the devices I have set up or worked on for others - and have never experienced any problem with the devices auto-connecting on ‘known networks’. In fact, I have sometimes experienced the exact opposite, where my device has inadvertently auto-connected to someone else’s PAW which I have worked on previously - which seems to disprove that hypothesis.

Doesn’t help explain what is going on though.

Regards
Peter

Ian Melville

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 08:32:15 am »
Same a exfirepro, don't use a password and have no issues auto-connecting.