Author Topic: MGL Lite to PAW connection and instructions.  (Read 1006 times)

Pete

MGL Lite to PAW connection and instructions.
« on: July 18, 2021, 02:19:55 pm »

This is a brief description on how easy it is to connect  a cable from your PilotAware Rosetta ( not tested on a Classic)  to your MGL Lite panel.

1) Obtain a  cable that is needed from USB ( P.A. unit to RS232 port ---  your RX of your MGL Panel ) Cable is a R.S. USB-RS232-WE-1800-BT_0.0 from R.S. (1800 being the length in mm )

2) Configure your P.A. unit  to identify a free USB slot/port . Port 1 on mine was the GPS dongle . I used Port 3 which is the Top Right port when looking at the unit with the Ethernet port on your left.
Port 1- Top Left , Port 2 Bottom Left. Port 3 Top Right, and Port 4 Bottom Right.
3) Use the orange wire ( SIGNAL) of the cable to go to the RX of the RS232 port ! or Port 2 depending on your setup.
4) Black cable must go to ground.
5) Configure your P.A. Port  ( Port 3 in my case) to be "Flarm Out" ----Baud rate 19200
6) On your MGL Panel  go to "Traffic Monitoring Setup" menu and you will have the option to "Enable" traffic monitoring.
7) The Horizontal Alert Distance can be set up to a maximum of 10nm.
8) Vertical Alert Distance 9900'.

Tip- Keep the parameters wide open to check you do see traffic and then close the parameters down when satisfied to suit your requirements.

You can now connect up and power up P.A. and you should see the USB plug of your cable give out a flashing red led. If not check ground connection! Also you have the correct port on your P.A. unit.
The MGL screen will now show traffic and if meeting your parameters will give you a Traffic warning and position --e.g. "Traffic 11'o'clock" and you will be given a visual target with a thin redline from your aircraft position (centre) to the traffic identified.

I also tested this with an ipad Wi-Fi setup to PilotAware "Radar" to see the traffic and compare.
A very easy traffic awareness aid for less than £30 on your MGL panel.

Still keep a good look out with the Mk1 eyeball , not everyone has E.C. devices fitted or Transponders !!
The mind is like an Umbrella, it only works when it is open!

exfirepro

Re: MGL Lite to PAW connection and instructions.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 03:23:36 pm »
Hi Pete,

A very useful (and detailed) set of instructions for connecting PAW to your MGL Lite Display.

Well Done!

Best Regards

Peter