Author Topic: Android  (Read 68516 times)

chrismills

Re: Android
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2015, 12:36:21 pm »
As far as I know the Android app provides exactly the same data and format as the original iPhone app, over the same type of connection. I don't think the Pi can tell what type of device is providing the GPS data and so it shouldn't matter. The mini webserver is a  slightly newer development however.
Chris

chrismills

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2015, 12:37:12 pm »
Sorry Lee, didn't realise the web server wasn't available in the curent version.
Chris

Admin

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2015, 12:44:26 pm »
As far as I know the Android app provides exactly the same data and format as the original iPhone app, over the same type of connection. I don't think the Pi can tell what type of device is providing the GPS data and so it shouldn't matter. The mini webserver is a  slightly newer development however.
Chris

Almost correct  :)

Your App is using UDP, my app is using TCP.
I think UDP is a better approach, it is a lot more forgiving to wifi dropouts because it does not look for an ACK. TCP can block waiting for an ACK when it is simply better to send again

Thx
Lee

Alan Walker

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2015, 12:47:26 pm »
Thanks Chris and I very much suspect I was being a bit thick by not confirming I was correctly connected.

I am now able to use PilotAware with my:
                                                            1/ iPhone 6
                                                            2/ iPad Air + Garmin Glo
                                                            3/ Nexus 7

RESULT!!

Am flying out of my Cheddington base (2 miles from Halton) late morning tomorrow and will look out for others as have only picked up ADS-B traffic thus far.

Thanks to Lee and all of you Aviatechnogeeks  for making this a reality.

As aye

Al
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:00:33 pm by Alan Walker »

Admin

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2015, 12:50:41 pm »
Thanks to all of you Aviatechnogeeks  for making this a reality.

Alan, I have absolutely no idea to whom you are referring ::)

Alan Walker

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2015, 01:01:44 pm »
Quite right Lee..... MUST PROOFREAD in future!

Now amended.

chrismills

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2015, 01:34:07 pm »
Sorry Lee. I thought I'd emailed but maybe not.

Finished up using TCP in the end, not UDP. Once I'd understood it all, the Java coding was a bit easier and it worked first time, unlike the UDP which I was struggling with.

Chris

Admin

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2015, 01:47:57 pm »
Sorry Lee. I thought I'd emailed but maybe not.
Finished up using TCP in the end, not UDP. Once I'd understood it all, the Java coding was a bit easier and it worked first time, unlike the UDP which I was struggling with.
Chris

Hi Chris,
Not a problem, I have to do some code cleanup, I have got lots of duplicated code at the moment.
I want to restructure into a common parser (NMEA based)
and two listening sockets on port 2001, both UDP & TCP.
So I dont intend to lose the TCP comms, but I do want to lose the $P3IGGA messaging, its just
duplicating what is already in NMEA

Thx
Lee

rg

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2015, 03:12:07 pm »
Static testing on ground good.  I can see CAT in skydemon and quite a range.  Power board arrived this morning so pilot aware upgrade then testing once I've got the soldeting done and p3i working.

Russ_H

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2015, 03:19:01 pm »
Great stuff, Also got it running on Nexus 7 now and picking up ADSB at 10 miles in a ground test.
I think I can actually fit the Nexus on my panel, the Ipad Mini was too big.

Thanks Lee and Chris

P.S. Anyone with a skydemon forum account want to give em a nudge on making the
 traffic icons a bit clearer/different colour?

chrismills

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2015, 03:34:04 pm »
Don't think the traffic icons are configurable in SD.
Chris

chrismills

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2015, 03:39:52 pm »
Lee.

Now that I know what I'm doing I think it will be a simple mod to send NMEA sentences. I'll have a go at a settings page and see if I can give the option of either P3I or NMEA at a user selectable setting.
How's that for futureproofing!!!
😉
Chris

Alan Walker

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2015, 05:33:35 pm »
Managed 25nms in all directions from ground level albeit at 750' amsl in the Chilterns from my garden.

Will it be possible, at some stage in the future, to incorporate the facility to enter the ICAO identifier in the Android version of PilotAware Chris?

chrismills

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2015, 06:47:07 pm »
See the earlier posting about the PilotAware box mini web server. This is where the ICAO aircraft code goes. You might need the latest version of the Pi code.
Chris

SteveN

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2015, 07:06:20 pm »
Up and running on my Nexus 7 now.

Thanks guys.