Author Topic: Android  (Read 68462 times)

Gyronaut

Re: Android
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2015, 03:10:24 pm »
Hi Lee,

Spot on! That's done the trick... I now have connection from my Nexus 7 to the PAW.

Unfortunately, I now have to find out why when I use SkyDemon (SD) to connect to the PAW via "Go Flying and Use FLARM", SD hangs forever whilst it is "Seeking GPS Satellites"?

My SD connectivity options are as follows:
Internet Connection - "Live Data when Planning and Flying"
External GPS/Traffic Source - "FLARM"
FLARM Options - Air Connect Key - "6000"

This above all seems as per the forum advice but SD still hangs?

Rgds,

Paul.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2015, 03:17:59 pm »
Do you have a GPS dongle attached to the PAW? If so, is the green light on it flashing, and when you go into a browser on the tablet and connect to 192.168.1.1, does it say, under "GPS (USB)", Fix="GPS fix (SPS)"?

If you don't have a GPS dongle attached, you'll need to supply the PAW with GPS from the tablet. For this you'll need the app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.millsconsulting.PilotAwareAndroid

Then you'll need to acquire the satellites on the tablet before trying to activate Sky Demon. The app will show the GPS location and the connection to the PAW.

Oh, and maybe change the SD setting to live data while planning, or it'll try contacting the internet which it won't be able to do as you're connecting to the PAW. I think.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 03:21:19 pm by Paul_Sengupta »

Gyronaut

« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2015, 03:39:48 pm »
Hi Paul,

I've followed your set-up method and now it's all up and working satis.

Many thanks to one and all.

Rgds,

Paul.

DanDare

« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2015, 04:56:49 pm »
It runs now, well for an hour. This is simply a bug and will be fixed in the next release.
Not really sure of the value of a PAW without a DVB-T  ::)
The only use I can think of is for attracting gremlins :)

I have run the test without a web browser connected to the PAW web server and everything has been running happily for over 5 hours, so I'm pretty sure that was the problem.

Thanks for all your help.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 04:58:21 pm by DanDare »

Admin

« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2015, 07:00:59 pm »
I have run the test without a web browser connected to the PAW web server and everything has been running happily for over 5 hours, so I'm pretty sure that was the problem.

To be honest that is simply a fluke, the issue is the DVB-T intrrface is eating up all the file descriptors, attempting to connect but constantly failing.
This is only seen whdn a DVB-T is not present

Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2015, 07:14:54 pm »
I have a suspicion the system is running out of file descriptors, but cannot see hiw at the moment.

do you suspect a file descriptor leak?

I'm trying to SSH into the PAW box so I can have a look to see how many descriptors are in use with user: pi pw: raspberry but I can't connect. Have the credentials been changed with the PAW o/s?

Hi Luke
Interactive logins are disabled
The intention is to use the web interface for configuration and monitoring

Thx
Lee

Ian Melville

« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2015, 09:58:42 pm »
Will you be changing the code to allow it to run without a DVB-T dongle?
It runs now, well for an hour. This is simply a bug and will be fixed in the next release.
Flying club owner asked if it could be used to track his fleet, ::)

Moffrestorer

« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2015, 02:36:21 pm »
Will you be changing the code to allow it to run without a DVB-T dongle?
Flying club owner asked if it could be used to track his fleet, ::)

The P3i system in Pilotaware doesn't have the range to allow the flying club owner to track his aircraft.

Do these aircraft have Mode S transponders? If so, a PAW box with GPS dongle could provide position info and aircraft identifier hex code, for ADSB Out from the transponder. He then just has to use Flight Radar24 to see where his aircraft are.

Moffrestorer

« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2015, 02:52:02 pm »
In the previous post I assumed he just needed to track his aircraft, he is also ground based, at the flying club.

With a complete PAW installation in each aircraft, he has the advantage of offering collision avoidance to his members as well as being able to track them via FR24, or in the air via ADSB, assuming his fleet are equipped with Mode S. A cheap tablet with XC Soar (see other thread), could provide the display.

Richard

« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2015, 06:20:17 pm »
I have already suggested this to our Local Flying Club too.  If just using Pilot Aware as it is you could track the aircraft up to may be 10 miles. (When the issue with the radio board are sorted out).

If willing to equip his aircraft with ADS-B via their transponders...... Tracking could be pretty good up to many miles (50 to 100 for example) with the DVB-T antenna outside on a mast. Then simply run Skydemon or Runway HD on the PC in the control room and you have a basic radar system at your fingertips ( Setting the "Show Traffic mabe at 7000ft.

If I had my own airfield this would be on the to do list for sure
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 06:21:56 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS