Author Topic: GPS signal lost  (Read 2214 times)

JohnR

GPS signal lost
« on: June 21, 2021, 09:53:18 am »
Getting a message on SD "GPS signal lost" and it doesn't connect.  This happened at the weekend when flying and I used the location service on SD and then checking again this morning I get the same message when checking it outside. It connects to PAW on the iPad and can use location services on SD.  What is wrong?

steveu

Re: GPS signal lost
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 10:13:37 am »
What do you get on the status page if you connect a browser on your iPad to 192.168.1.1?

If the status indicator for the GPS is red, then you might look to see if the GPS antenna is connected and seated properly in the USB slot if using the internal one one, and check connections and mounting if using an external one.

I'm guessing one of the PAW support people will ask for a screen capture of the status page, and will further decode that for you?

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 10:39:48 am »
I might have found the problem in the home page the date is showing as Saturday 19th June.  Everything else looks Ok, volts OK, licence in date, latest version.  How do I change the date?  My iPad is showing the correct date.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 11:16:51 am »
Hi John,

Date change is automatic (I think once it gets a GPS fix). That certainly won't stop the unit working.

The important thing here is what is the GPS line saying? A screenshot would be helpful. Some info on which version of PAW (Rosetta or Classic) and where (and how) you have your PAW mounted, and in what type of aircraft would also help.

Regards
Peter
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 11:18:50 am by exfirepro »

steveu

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 04:27:03 pm »
In order for the GPS system to work, the time and date must be set very accurately, and this is the first thing a GPS system must do.

It gets the time and date from the first satellite it locks onto, IIRC.

So, when the date is wrong, the GPS system is not even on page 1.

It needs accurate time and an almanac before it can start providing location information.

So I might guess that the antenna is loose or no longer working. But it's only an interested guess...

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 08:06:55 pm »
It is a Rosetta and normally just sits on the coaming.  Photos attached

steveu

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 10:45:39 pm »
If you look under the cover is the GPS antenna properly seated in its USB port?

This is the cover at the opposite end of the unit from the antennas, that should just slide off...

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 12:27:31 pm »
Hi Again John,

Thanks for the screenshots.

I agree with Steve - both the GPS and 1090 SDR dongle are reporting ‘Unavailable’, which suggests they have become dislodged from their USB ports.

You should be able to open the end cap of the case, though you might need to carefully split the case label with a fine blade along the dividing line (which will be obvious from the case sides). There is a clip in the centre of the end cap, which requires gentle pressure just to the cap side of the joint, after which the end cap should slide open and can be lifted away.

Carefully remove and replace the dongles - (if they have come right out, they only go in one way up) then reboot the unit - preferably outside with a clear view of the sky - and wait for the GPS to get a fix. Once you get the PAW WiFi hotspot and log back in to 192.168.1.1 the GPS indicator should be orange while it continues to search for satellites, correct the time and establish its position, then once it does so it goes green. The other indicators should then follow (to green) and all will be well, but don’t worry if the 1090 indicator is orange - this is normal as it swaps back and forth between orange and green depending on the presence of ADSB or Mode C/S traffic.

If in doubt give us another screenshot.

Regards
Peter

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 04:59:03 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  It was indeed loose connections.  I unplugged everything and then reattached them and it works now.

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 05:10:15 pm »
Hi John,

Great stuff... thanks for letting us know. Glad it’s working again.

Regards
Peter

Woody

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2021, 04:02:06 pm »
Hi o am having same issues.  Drops out mid flight.
I have checked the obvious.
Still no joy
SD card is in but does not click in.
This is my second unit 1 original had to swap the bridge then that stopped. Now Rosetta is not connecting

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2021, 06:28:32 pm »
Hi Woody,

MicroSD cards don’t ‘click in’ on Pi3s (which is what we use in Rosetta). The card simply slides home in the slot.

When you say ‘Drops out mid flight’, can you provide some detail. Drops out on what? SkyDemon for example will give specific alerts if it loses GPS or loses connectivity with PilotAware (or any other location and traffic source). Accurate details or screengrabs will help us work out what is happening, as might screenshots of the Home and Configure Screens of your PilotAware - even if just to eliminate some of the basics so we can point you in the right direction.

Regards

Peter

steveu

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2021, 08:24:01 pm »
Have you considered connecting the PAW traffic service audio to your intercom?

If that continues after the connection is lost to your tablet, it may help with fault finding.

I tend not to bother with the screen anymore, and just take the audio alerts...