Author Topic: connection to Stratomaster Enigma EFIS  (Read 1485 times)

DWILDMAN

connection to Stratomaster Enigma EFIS
« on: June 17, 2021, 04:04:56 pm »
Has anyone connected to the Engima EFIS. i have this in a microlight and would like to know if its possible/straight forwards? thanks.

steveu

Re: connection to Stratomaster Enigma EFIS
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 04:56:27 pm »
Looks like the required schematic is here:

https://www.stratomaster.eu/download/mgl/enigma/enigma_architecture_EN.pdf

with a basic Google search.

I'm wondered what other protocols that RS232 Port 1 speaks, as there is a mention of ADS-B, but it would be either of the two protocols that PAW speaks, which isn't quite that...

It's an interesting piece of kit, I bought my first microlight for less than that...

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 09:59:58 pm »
Hi DWILDMAN,

Welcome to the Forum.

What exactly are you hoping to do?

The CFI at my airfield has an Enigma (actually IIRC Master and Slave) in his P&M Hyper, though I’m not sure how/what they are connected to. (Though almost certainly NOT PilotAware).

I have downloaded copies of a preliminary installation and user manual (from the Stratomaster website), but there must be more details as neither covers the full installation and setup. There is in fact more information in the layout diagram which Steve has posted the link to above. I will make some enquiries and see if our CFI  has the full installation manual or any other info available and report back.

Best Regards
Peter
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 10:03:47 pm by exfirepro »

PaulSS

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 08:01:47 am »
I can only assume this is to display traffic on the Enigma's moving map. If so, then I imagine it would be done in the same way PAW can be connected and configured on the more modern kit (RS232). I was going to input PAW to my Explorer via the Extender module (which is connected via RS232) but, in the end, decided against it. My reasons were that I use the moving map very little, preferring to use SkyDemon on an iPad Mini and that the targets are tiny on the MGL screen. I think trying to see them would be akin to an eyesight test on every flight.

There was a write-up on this forum about connecting to an MGL EFIS but I can't find it at the moment. Likewise there was one on the MGL Forum but this was lost when they migrated to a new Internet platform and didn't import the old posts. A lot of good info lost when they did that  :(

Another edit to add a diagram of how mine was going to be set up through the Extender. It's as simple as one wire  :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 08:10:15 am by PaulSS »

Admin

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 08:03:18 am »
According to the schematic from Steve, it shows FLARM over RS232
So I think that would be the way to go

Addendum, description in this doc connecting flarm over RS232
https://www.mglavionics.co.za/Docs/MGL%20EFIS%20user%20manual.pdf

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 08:06:28 am by Admin »

steveu

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 06:14:41 pm »
Yes, had a quick look through, the protocol selection is on page 82 of the document Lee linked to.

Unless you have the optional USB on ports 3-5 I'm guessing you'll need a serial to USB adaptor and will connect this to the nine pin D if it's that.

The serial to USB adaptor will need to be the one supported by Rosetta...

But surely someone at MGL will be able to help?