Author Topic: Aircraft Orientation Issues When Using Funke Transponders for ADSB Out  (Read 5997 times)

CliveJ

Changing to the Garmin is a wire connection under the panel so not that easy. Given that the ADSB exchange shows the shortcomings of the Funke I'll just change it, fly and then look at the flight with that website. Will report back, Regards, Clive

bnmont

Hi Clive,

To get the GPRMC messages being sent firstly you need to download a track file from PilotAware.
This can then be opened in Excel (select all file types), in the text input wizard highlight Delimited,next, select Tab and Comma, next, select text and Finish. This should populate the spread sheet. Now you need to filter the data. Select data, filter, and tthen select only the GPRMC message type in column A.

BTW there may be a much easier way to achieve this I'm self taught and complete amateur with Excel.

Once you have the messages you can see column B time stamp , position, speed and heading, date.

bnmont

Just to quickly show the difference between the Funke and Trig transponders:-

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=405f7f&lat=52.136&lon=-0.312&zoom=11.1&showTrace=2021-05-02  This is Geoffreys Trig equipped plane . He was flying in loose formation with me. His track is displayed perfectly on the ADSB exchange site.

This is my plane flying at the same time with the latest FunkeTRT800 and software 6.3  https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=406cb1&lat=52.196&lon=-0.254&zoom=11.1&showTrace=2021-05-02

Its easy to spot the difference!!

Regards Brian

CliveJ

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=406cb1,406436&lat=52.712&lon=1.540&zoom=11.1&showTrace=2021-05-16

Check this out. My new Funke connected to a Garmin 396.

Comments appreciated.

Regards, Clive

bnmont

Hi Clive,
That certainly looks much better behaviour. I assume the 396 is also an un approved gps?
Does it only send the GPRMC messages? And you just used NMEA settings on the Funke?
I don’t suppose you had anyone monitoring via PilotAware and SkyDemon?

Regards Brian

bnmont

Hi Clive
Take all posted above back. It’s a mode S track only I think

CliveJ

It says ADSB on the page while it plays it?

CliveJ

No one monitoring, figured as the ADSB exchange showed my last flight pointing North all the while and now it shows the track like you would expect that it's a step forward?

bnmont

Apologies, you’re correct.
Don’t know what I was seeing the second time I looked at the track replay.
Brian

CliveJ

can we assume there is a problem with the PAW derived GPS data?

I will try and get a friend to check it out from his equipment in the week.

Regards Clive
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 08:15:01 pm by CliveJ »

bnmont

Hi Clive,
I honestly dont know what to think. The garmin is uncertified I guess, I really hope it's not a problem with data from PilotAware.
Maybe Lee can comment?
Certainly my GPRMC messages from PAW to the transponder contain position and track data.
I have yet to hear anymore from Funke.

Regards Brian

bnmont

Is it possible for the RS232 converter to corrupt the signal somehow?

bnmont

Is it possible that the FTDI converter is supplying the messages at the wrong voltage?

Just a friends thought.

CliveJ

I've also contacted Funke but no reply. The Garmin is an old unit but works fine and feeds my Dynon and Autopilot successfully.
Any now the Funke by the look of it. It was feeding my old TXP but I moved it to the PAW in case that was why SkyEcho's weren't picking it up. It didn't make any difference as I think the old TXP didn't have the extended Squitter working correctly.
See what Lee thinks, for sure something's changed as now my track is being transmitted and it wasn't before when it was using PAW derived data. 
Regards, Clive

exfirepro

Hi Both,

What a difference Clive - complete change of performance using the Garmin as your GPS source instead of your PilotAware. It appears there may be something going on here that we are not yet aware of (at least with Funke transponders).

Regards

Peter