Author Topic: Pilotaware ATOM "This was the game changer on the day"  (Read 5493 times)

Admin

Re: Pilotaware ATOM "This was the game changer on the day"
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2021, 12:08:41 pm »
IIRC the ADS-B reception is actually artificially limited at 80km...
its clipped at 60km, otherwise our databases simply get filled

Also, I changed the altitude profile to only report everything below 5000ft, the highest we were seeing in your plots was CAP1391 at just over 5000ft
This made no difference to the overall picture

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2021, 01:57:07 pm »
Peter,

Thanks for your comment. But here is my problem. I own a PA28-181 and you cannot put outside aerials on this hull without a lot of trouble/expense permission wise. I have spent what some of the guys on this forum would class a lot of money in making my Garmin transponder 'ADSB out' certified. I say all this so you have the context.

What I am trying to say is that as with FLARM the ATOM stations might possibly transmit to us standard Rosetta types (inside aerials) some info on SE2 equipped aircraft... if that info is available to the ATOM stn.

We cannot expect the SE2 guys to optimise their transmissions, we can only be grateful they have done something and purchased some EC.

Can PAW ATOM stns redeem the situation a little without me having to drill holes in my PA28 ?

I’m sorry, but IMO we certainly should ‘expect the SE2 guys to optimise their transmissions’ - in the same vein as we (and FLARM) advise our users to optimise ours.

From what we read on other Forums (Fora?), however, the advocates of SE2 are already convinced that we are deliberately misreporting their transmission range and more importantly polar diagram coverage via PAW VECTOR, and that PAW ATOM stations are in some way ‘biased’ against CAP1391 devices.

According to the proponents of SE2, operating range ‘air-to-air’ is vastly superior to ‘air-to-ATOM’. With this and the apparent coverage range restriction of the devices (as reported by Ground Stations) in mind, it is debatable to what extent capture and rebroadcast would be effective.

Setting aside the conspiracy theories, the fact still remains that if the Ground Stations can’t see the devices, we can’t rebroadcast their positions - even if we want to.

Regards
Peter

Cottie

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2021, 10:52:12 pm »
A thought that I have been pondering for a few weeks.

An aircraft had a SE2 and also transmitted mode S.

If a PAW detected the mode S as bearingless but does not detect the CAP1391 and therefore requested info from a ground station would either:
a. The MLAT position be broadcast,
b. The Cap1391 derived position be broadcast.
or
c. The request be ignored as the target has a Cap1391 device that the PAW should be able to receive.
Iain
PWLymm

SGS66

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2021, 12:22:39 am »
Peter,

You might hope SE2 users will optimise their transmissions but my experience is that they are just switching SE2 boxes on and expect they are working. I suspect a lot of SE2 boxes were bought because there was a nice discount for something which was offering EC.

I am not hopeful that we can influence the SE2 world of users to implement what marginal improvement might be possible.

You supply some interesting info from other forums which I do not follow.

The question Cottie poses seems relevant.

I would like to know the count of SE2 contacts my PAW sees per flight. If none of us is seeing much SE2 and obviously ATOM stations are not seeing much this looks to be a problem that should be addressed.

exfirepro

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2021, 10:40:45 am »
Iain,

In reality it’s a bit complicated, but in essence the ground station won’t know whether or not you are actually receiving the CAP1391 device or how reliable the signal is, so if your PAW also detects a Mode-S signal and is in communication with one or more Ground Stations, it will still request position data for that Mode-S signal. If available, the MLAT’d Mode-S position will be uplinked to the requesting PAW from the most effective Ground Station - as determined by the Network GRID Control. This data is then integrated with any other data for that aircraft by the PAW software, which will send a report based on whichever is the ‘most reliable’ data for that particular aircraft to your traffic screen. Hope this helps clarify what is in essence a fairly complex operation.

Regards
Peter

Edit: obviously it’s even more complicated than I thought, viz Lee’s post below! Sorry
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 11:56:24 am by exfirepro »

exfirepro

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2021, 11:16:33 am »
Peter,

You might hope SE2 users will optimise their transmissions but my experience is that they are just switching SE2 boxes on and expect they are working.

Whilst that is inevitably true for many (simply ticking a box), from the level of interest, discussion and argument on some of the more general public forums, a fair number of new SE2 owners are starting to question whether their devices are performing to an acceptable level and if not, what they can do to improve things. It is after all in their own interests to optimise their own installations.

I suspect a lot of SE2 boxes were bought because there was a nice discount for something which was offering EC.

Influenced significantly by the fact that a very vociferous group on the Flyer Forum and elsewhere take every opportunity to stress that ADSB-Out is ‘the CAA’s preferred EC option’.

I am not hopeful that we can influence the SE2 world of users to implement what marginal improvement might be possible.

I’m not sure that is the case as much as you might think. There is plenty of interest from users of ALL TYPES of EC in maximising the benefits of their systems. It does, however, require a bit of tact and diplomacy to point out to someone who has bought a product that it might not be performing to the level they think it is, and to suggest how that lack of effective performance might be improved. Fortunately the more technically aware SE2 users also have a vested interest in persuading their fellow users along the right path, so let’s not give up hope yet.

You supply some interesting info from other forums which I do not follow.

The question Cottie poses seems relevant.

I would like to know the count of SE2 contacts my PAW sees per flight. If none of us is seeing much SE2 and obviously ATOM stations are not seeing much this looks to be a problem that should be addressed.

Although the ATOM-GRID Network can differentiate between ADSB from a transponder and from a CAP1391 device, it’s not possible to determine that at PAW device level at present. I’m not sure how easy it would be to add this facility and in any case, we have to be careful as we don’t want to antagonise the ‘anti-PAW’ Brigade - who already think we are deliberately working against their devices (which is of course complete rubbish - they don’t need any help in that from us!).

The best we can do is to continue to work together to diplomatically advise users of ANY EC System as to how they might improve their setup where we come across obvious deficiencies.

Best Regards
Peter

Admin

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2021, 11:34:37 am »
A thought that I have been pondering for a few weeks.

An aircraft had a SE2 and also transmitted mode S.

If a PAW detected the mode S as bearingless but does not detect the CAP1391 and therefore requested info from a ground station would either:
a. The MLAT position be broadcast,
b. The Cap1391 derived position be broadcast.
or
c. The request be ignored as the target has a Cap1391 device that the PAW should be able to receive.

Hi Iain
not sure if this is a similar question to the one on the FF (maybe you also posted there ?)
the answer as I mentioned on FF is C from above
Which I am now starting to doubt is the right approach....

Thx
Lee

steveu

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2021, 08:32:48 pm »

We cannot expect the SE2 guys to optimise their transmissions, we can only be grateful they have done something and purchased some EC.

And what about those of us who have put up ground stations at our own expense?

If the SE2 guys don't want to maximise their EC, why do we have to carry the can? Everyone else is optimising.

Those of us erecting ground stations might be doing a lot more optimising... and have made the optimisation possible.

If the SE2 guys don't optimise, their transmissions may not be received even by ground stations.

In the end all you can do is fly with a PilotAware and a SE2 on the same flight and note the results, in your aircraft.

I have but I'm suggesting you gather your own evidence.

Your main problem is that the PA28 is an all metal aircraft and will act like a partial Faraday cage for any carry on you have.

This is the main problem with any carry on, and it will limit PAW signals in and out, and SE2 signals in and out. This is probably the issue you have with not seeing much ADS-B.

Whilst I realise that you cannot have external aerials, I am in an aircraft where I can and the results are very different.

Rebroadcasting ADS-B upwards from ground stations towards the metal under surfaces of any aircraft is less likely to work than air to air, so the SE2 posse may be right when they say the air to air is better, but that's the obscuration of their metal hull at work.

Bottom line  -  there is a reason why a metal (or metal lined) apron is given to people having X-rays to protect their tender parts. The same metal "protects" antennas from receiving transmissions.

SGS66

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2021, 11:52:58 pm »
Lee, Peter, and SteveU thanks for your feedback and comments.

Peter and SteveU
Lets hope you are right about the SE2 guys optimising the placement of their kit. I may be being too hard on them generally. On an individual level I have tried to help an AA5 flyer friend with an SE2 but his Vector diagram is still pathetic. If anybody has an AA5 and can show the best position I will pass the info on to my AA5 friend. I did not argue his choice of EC as he only has a mode C transponder.

SteveU,
I have the Rosetta in the rear window P1 side of my Archer and am very impressed with all the Uplink MLAT data from Selsey etc. I even get reports on MLAT circuit traffic at Shoreham albeit intermittently. I see a fair amount of 'P' contacts, and ADS-B contacts though probably from transponders. If we could get Aircrew to differentiate between SE2 and transponder ADS-B I would be wiser without the difficulty of trawling through the data by hand 

So the spam can is not too much of a problem interference wise.

Well done with the ground station.

Phil

Admin

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2021, 11:13:30 am »
Hi Phil

I have the Rosetta in the rear window P1 side of my Archer and am very impressed with all the Uplink MLAT data from Selsey etc. I even get reports on MLAT circuit traffic at Shoreham albeit intermittently

You will be pleased to know Shoreham/EGKA went live this weekend !

Thx
Lee

SGS66

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2021, 11:55:46 am »
Great news.

Can you send me contact info for future reference please?

steveu

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2021, 03:59:27 pm »

Lets hope you are right about the SE2 guys optimising the placement of their kit. I may be being too hard on them generally. On an individual level I have tried to help an AA5 flyer friend with an SE2 but his Vector diagram is still pathetic. If anybody has an AA5 and can show the best position I will pass the info on to my AA5 friend. I did not argue his choice of EC as he only has a mode C transponder.

Why not post his vector diagram here with the ICAO code and the aircraft type blotted out? Suggestions can be made. Screen dump Vector, edit the picture and attach.

I got poor results on the centre of the dash with the Skyranger. Moved the SE2 to the side windscreen passenger side just in front of the door post. Much more uniform radiation on Vector.

You will be pleased to know Shoreham/EGKA went live this weekend !

Thx
Lee

This is a real result for all the HG/PG posse flying at Devil's Dyke - this station is less than 10km away for the take off....

SGS66

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2021, 09:29:16 pm »
SteveU,

It may be better to PM you the reg, and I'll find the current position of the SE2 in the AA5. This will avoid me drifting this thread anymore from the original title, which was a very good account.

steveu

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2021, 09:44:07 pm »
Wilco.