Author Topic: 1090 Red Flag - Brand New Rosetta  (Read 4130 times)

peastlake

1090 Red Flag - Brand New Rosetta
« on: May 12, 2021, 11:58:27 am »
Hi

Brand new Rosetta out of the box, external antennas hang out of a window, booted to set up (which was successful). But no 1090 connections?

Ian Melville

Re: 1090 Red Flag - Brand New Rosetta
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 12:19:19 pm »
I would remove the cover and check the antenna pigtail is connected to the SDR module.

Also you have a voltage warning and is currently throttled. Can you confirm that you are using the supplied USB cable and a PSU capable of supplying 2A?

If both are good then it could be a faulty SDR. They can draw a high current when they fail, dragging the voltage down.

peastlake

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 12:42:15 pm »
Thanks Ian

Yes, using the supplied cable with a Logic3 battery pack with output rated at 2.4A. It’s been on for a bit, and the radio module (with the pink cable disappearing into the box?) is very hot! But the pink cable seems attached to the module plugged into the USB port.

I’ll try another battery pack. This one’s old & maybe a bit “tired”?

peastlake

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 01:29:03 pm »
Well, it’s on mains power now, and I’m still getting the same warnings. No 1090, voltage warning & “throttling”

Arghh

Ian Melville

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 05:01:35 pm »
The SDR does get hot. Try unplugging it and restarting the PAW. See if the power warning goes.
Probably best to contact Support@PilotAware.com.

A_Vinning33

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 08:28:29 pm »
Hi Peastlake,

The home page is saying that the 1090 SD is "Connected", that tells us that the radio module is communicating with the PilotAware.

Just a thought, are there many transmitting aircraft around you for the receiver to pick up and register?

Also, the external antenna is a monopole, and requires a ground-plane.

The status colours on the home page are explained here.
https://www.pilotaware.com/knowledgebase/home-page

RED "Indicates that no packets have yet been received."

If it still doesn't work considering all of the above, please email support.

I hope this helps.

Ashley

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 08:31:27 am »
Hi peastlake,

Have you tried Iain’s tip? - try booting with the 1090 SDR removed from the USB port and see if this removes the Voltage and Throttled warnings. If it does, there could be a fault in the SDR (though it will have been tested prior to dispatch).

Ash is correct - the external (monopole) antennas do require a ground plane for proper efficient operation - however that shouldn’t stop the 1090 side receiving some high power CAT traffic without the ground plane (provided of course there was any flying within range). How long did you leave it? You can check for the presence of traffic locally on fr24.com. The other ‘quick test’ to check for any pigtail or antenna faults is to isolate the 1090 antenna system completely by unplugging the pigtail from the SDR and replacing the antenna system with a length of thin wire (length not critical for this test and insulated wire is fine - just bare the end) which fits into the centre only of the MCX socket as strong 1090 signals should be receivable on the proverbial ‘piece of wet string’ (though I definitely recommend wire)!

If no joy, get back to Ashley via the support email mentioned above.

Regards

Peter

peastlake

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 09:34:46 am »
Thanks all for your comments.

Firstly the “reboot” seems to have cleared the throttle & voltage warnings.

The external aerial is the dipole type as supplied by PAW, not the type that requires a ground plane, but I’ve gone back to the short screw on aerial.

But I’m still getting the “red flag” for 1090. The Rosetta is on a windowsill, so can “see the air”, but is it possible it’s simple picking up NO traffic? There’s not a lot about, but FR24 is showing a couple of local aircraft at Stansted (8 miles or so away, on the other side of the house)

Is the case (apart from the cover hiding the USB ports, “undo-able”? I’ve got my PAW Classic on the trike at the airfield (which is supposed to go back to PAW). Could the SDR module be used from that?

peastlake

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 09:41:39 am »
And how do you get the external GPS mouse through the cover over the USB ports? Simply cut a hole?

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 01:23:12 pm »
Hi again peastlake,

Did you do the reboot with the SDR still in place? In any case it’s obviously now back in the USB slot, with no voltage issues reporting, so unlikely to be an SDR issue that caused that.

As Ash advised, a Red Light for 1090 traffic can just mean that no Mode C/S or ADSB traffic has been detected yet. This ‘problem’ could still be just lack of traffic - especially if you have tried with the screw-on 1090 antenna and are still getting no results. If you hadn’t swapped to the other antenna, I’d suspect the dipole, or the SDR still might be faulty. I’d certainly suggest trying the SDR from your Classic if you haven’t sent it back yet - especially if it has been working normally. Again, try to make sure that there is definitely ADSB traffic in the vicinity. Remember also that Mode C/S is ‘off’ by default unless you have changed your Config settings appropriately (also off in SkyDemon unless changed BTW), though ADSB should still be received.

You can open the main case, but it’s easy to break the clips if you don’t know where they are, so I’d keep that as a last resort.

If you look closely at the joint between the end cover and main case on the end of the unit (i.e. in line with the left hand row of USB slots) you will see that there is a preformed slot at the centre where the end cap meets the main case, specifically for the remote GPS cable to exit.

If you get your Rosetta running but still see no traffic, can you please post screenshots of the Config and Traffic Screens.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 02:57:03 pm »
is this issue still open ?

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 03:04:49 pm »
Hi Lee,

I’m still waiting for an update from peastlake, so it is as far as I’m concerned.

Peter

peastlake

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 08:44:09 pm »
Sorry  - been busy with work.

I’ll take it to the airfield tomorrow, switched on my Trig xponder (which is ADS-B out), remove my aircraft details from the PAW config, and see if I can see myself! Will report back....

exfirepro

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2021, 08:47:59 am »
Hi peastlake,

Be aware that even after removing your own aircraft details from your PilotAware, you may NOT see your own transponder due to close proximity - as the PilotAware may recognise any strong Mode C response from your transponder as it being in your own aircraft and filter it out regardless of hexID.

For this reason it’s best to run the PilotAware away from the Aircraft you are trying to detect.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 08:51:15 am by exfirepro »

Admin

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2021, 05:13:27 pm »
I suspect if the SDR is correctly inserted in the USB slot, then it may have gone kaput :-(