Author Topic: Different aircraft keeping station with me coming back from Sywell  (Read 2390 times)

Giver

Just got back from the LAA rally and had four aircraft keeping station with me for the whole trip.
Totally impossible as they where a mix of RV6/sports cruiser/ Seneca and Eurostar,
Also lost audio, probably a good thing as it would have driven me nuts,
Any suggestions on what could be the problem?

Etheav8r

Re: Different aircraft keeping station with me coming back from Sywell
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 08:45:54 pm »
I have also had this happen, reported to Keith at Sywell, looked to me like a corrupt/stuck log file, cured with a reboot - which unfortunately can only be achieved by powering the Rosetta off and on again.....

Giver

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 08:01:36 am »
Thanks for that, must confess I didn’t try that as it meant switching of my avionics switch and passing
Between Luton/ Stansted/City it wouldn’t have been a good idea,
I have brought the Rossetti home to bench test it so will see if a reboot is all it needs, ;D

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 10:07:05 am »
Hi Giver / All,

We had several similar reports a few months back, which all turned out to be due to corruption by ‘live traffic’ when the users were replaying their own track files from earlier flights on the inbuilt PAW Track Replay Tool. (We now suggest downloading the Track Files and replaying them on the Aircrew Playback Tool instead, which is much more refined and doesn’t generate this problem).

We have, however, had a few recent reports similar to yours, including one I was directly involved in investigating. It sounds like your PAW may be picking up the aircraft when it/they are near you on the ground (prior to takeoff) - at least that was what was happening in the recent cases I looked into - and for some reason holding onto these reports throughout the flight. Unfortunately, to track down what is going on, Lee needs the Track Logs - and in all cases I have been involved in - or am aware of - the relevant track logs have been missing from the PAW Track Logs list when we (or the pilots reporting the issue) look for them after the flight - i.e. after PAW shutdown.

Can anyone encountering this phenomenon - i.e.one (or more) specific aircraft attaching itself to your ownship - prior to takeoff, or at any other point in the flight - and subsequently ‘following’ you in the same position/distance during the flight - please check your PAW Track Logs Tab for the flight log BEFORE SHUTTING DOWN THE PAW and if the log file is there, please download it immediately to your tablet or phone and let us know, so we can arrange to retrieve it for analysis.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 11:31:06 am by exfirepro »

Giver

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 01:51:57 pm »
Thank you Peter, as I was on the ground at Sywell there where undoubtedly a number of aircraft transmitting EC,
Since arriving home and booting up it’s working flawlessly again, but have taken the opportunity to upgrade to the latest software 20200906 and pleasantly surprised at how easy it is using the
PilotAware Firmware Updater v1.75,
Very pleased with the results and now ready for installing back in the Aircraft

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 10:14:05 pm »
Hi again Giver,

Did you check for a track file for your trip home from Sywell, and if so - was there one? If there is, we really need it to try to track this fault down.

Regards

Peter
p.s. The latest Publicly-Available software from the Updater should have been 20201101

Etheav8r

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 10:19:36 pm »
In my case, the aircraft travelled out in loose formation from departure site to destination, and when we set off back home, we taxied out close together, but took completely different routes back.  The aircraft sitting "on top" of me all the way home was in fact 30 miles away within 10 minutes after take off.  Looking at the logfile in flight, the rogue/phantom aircraft was displayed with a red highlight for that log entry row, at the top of the list.

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 09:33:27 am »
Hi Edmund,

As I reported above, the Track File (if you have one) for the affected flight is essential to help us track down what is causing this fault.

Unfortunately in all the previously reported cases, when checking after the flight - no track file has been available!

If you can provide one that would be great.

Best Regards

Peter

Giver

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 09:32:54 am »
Hi Peter
You are correct it was updated to 20201101  ;D
I will check the track files today to see if they are of any use to you,

Giver

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 12:00:11 pm »
hi Peter
have checked the log file and unfortunately there isn't any data for the flight back from Sywell.
the trip up on the 3 sept is there but nothing for the return home on the 5 sept,
it shows me static at home on the 6 after the update and I can see aircraft going into city and Heathrow when I wind out out to maximum distance,
cannot be of any more help I'm afraid but well pleased with PWare performance ,

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 01:20:22 pm »
Thanks Giver,

At least that confirms the link between ‘attached’ ghost traffic and subsequent ‘missing’ Track Log for the flight, which appears to be consistent for all the reports of this type we have received so far.

I can only say again to anyone else experiencing this phenomenon - please check for the presence of a Track Log for the flight and if one is present download and save it before powering off your PilotAware.

Best Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2021, 11:34:21 am »
This problem seems to have been resolved in the current engineering code
So hopeful it will be resolved in the next iteration of a release.

Giver

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 12:24:21 pm »
Hi Again, first time out since I updated PW, the Trip out to Cardiff was fine, picking up a few aircraft near me, and the local QNH on the radar was very helpful,      but the return trip I picked up two ghosts that followed me all the way to Lydd,
My Aware is connected through my avionics switch so didn’t want to reboot while passing close to controlled airspace, I would loose radios and transponder,
Needless to say only the outbound ( log) track showed up fine but not the return, is this problem being resolved with a new download?
Many thanks

Admin

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2021, 10:30:27 am »
Hi Giver

Sending you an email to try and get to the bottom of this - please standby

Thx
Lee