Author Topic: GPS Signal Lost  (Read 3879 times)

Gary Nelson

Re: GPS Signal Lost
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2021, 09:28:56 am »
Thanks Lee.

1.   You mention below if software it would be seen across every device. That is what is happening (i.e. showing on both my iPad and iPhone at same time). .

2. This message occurred when radio was not being used

3.  Will send the Track later

exfirepro

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2021, 09:41:18 am »
Gary,

Lee means a problem with a software update would cause the issue on everyone’s device(s).

The problem isn’t (just) the fibreglass over the GPS. The frame round the lower front edge of the bubble canopy must also be affecting signal reception in that location and I’d be surprised if there isn’t metal or carbon fibre (both impenetrable to weak satellite signals) in there somewhere. As Lee and I have both said - move the GPS out into the clear and if the problem still persists, it’s time for a new one!

Interestingly I came across a similar problem yesterday. I got a phone call the day before about a SkyRanger, fitted with PAW Rosetta, the Owners of which were reporting ‘No ADSB’ Warnings on their Trig TT21 (Data supplied from the PilotAware) and SkyDemon was also reporting loss of GPS (which thanks to Tim D & Co is now a specific warning). My prognosis based on the obvious common factor was a GPS fault in the Rosetta - either a defective or incorrectly seated module, or a positioning issue. On asking over the phone where the Rosetta was fitted, I was told ‘under the Right-Hand Seat’, so I decided to fly over with a spare remote GPS Mouse and take a look.

Sure enough, on examination, I found that the Rosetta was indeed under the Right-Hand Seat - cable-tied to a metal cross strut - and to allow the downward-oriented attached antennas to poke out through the floor, the unit was mounted UPSIDE DOWN! So to have any chance of seeing satellites, the GPS antenna had to look through its own circuit board, the SDR / Raspberry Pi / Bridge, seat construction and the Instructor / Passenger’s Backside, - no wonder it was only reporting 3 or 4 satellites at best - and they must have been ground reflections *  :-\

The obvious ‘fix’ was to swap the existing GPS for the remote GPS Mouse, which can go up on top of the left-hand ‘top tube’, but time constraints due to ongoing training precluded fitting it while I was there so it had to wait until the end of the day. I am hoping to receive a phone call later today reporting significant improvements and will be watching on VRS today with interest.

Best Regards

Peter

Edit: for anyone who has read this in the last 10 mins or so, I don’t know what happened to the last two paragraphs when I first posted, so had to retype them  :-[

* Further Edit: sorry - I was only being facetious above - for the avoidance of confusion the satellite signals that were being received may well have been via reflection, but if so it would more likely have been off aircraft metalwork, not the ground.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 11:06:56 am by exfirepro »

Gary Nelson

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2021, 10:51:46 am »
Very helpful - ok 70 odd panel screws to undo and then redo - to get to the GPS to move it - but sounds like it has got to be done. Will then report back!

Gary Nelson

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2021, 02:13:52 pm »
OK, so I finally moved the PAW GPS mouse from glued underneath and behind the fibreglass console  shelf to now sitting on top of it, so the only thing between the GPS and the sky is my large bubble canopy. Total 100% improvement. Pilot aware on Sly Demon now fires up immediately every time and never get the “GPS signal lost” any more.

Thanks all for suggestions  :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 10:00:27 am by Gary Nelson »

exfirepro

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2021, 02:39:49 pm »
Well done Gary!

FWIW I met Paul Kidell and some of the Gang at the Kirriemuir Fly-in Yesterday, so we had a good chat and I confirmed by looking at his installation (without removing the 70 odd screws - I have seen his photos of that bit before) that my suspicions re your original install were valid, and that the surround round the bottom of the front edge of the 'canopy' IS metal, so it's good to hear that my prognosis was accurate and that the changes you have made have proved effective.

Best Regards and Thanks for the feedback.

Peter

Gary Nelson

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2021, 04:01:56 pm »
In the threads to this post both Lee and Peter mentioned a software upgrade and Peter also mentioned this latest PAW version was 20201101. Using Neil Hathaway’s updater App, I am all ready to upgrade when I next go to airfield. However:

1.  I cant find any document on this Forum or the PAW website describing what changes or improvements the upgrade makes. Is there one and where would I find it?

2.  I dont recall ever receiving an email from PAW notifying there was a software upgrade available. Was one circulated? I am asking simply to make sure I dont miss these in the future.

3.  I currently have version 20200906 installed. Have I therefore missed any other upgrades between this and latest version  20201101?