Author Topic: Best Android Tablet for Rosetta  (Read 1551 times)

Sean McDonald

Best Android Tablet for Rosetta
« on: April 05, 2021, 11:37:26 am »
This may have been covered before so apologies if that is the case.

I'm considering a change of aircraft and the potential purchase has a Rosetta plumbed in to the Trig tansponder. It is an all metal aircraft and I may need to site external aerials somewhere but that is a different kettle of fish.

My question is can anyone recommend and android tablet that has proved very reliable in maintaining a wi-fi connection to the Rosetta? I have to date used the Classic PAW with a Nexus 9 tablet and can't remember ever having a wi-fi drop out. The Nexus is now jiggered and too big in any case for the new aircraft so any ideas much appreciated. And ones to avoid if possible.

Many thanks,

Sean

AlanG

Re: Best Android Tablet for Rosetta
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 07:46:41 pm »
Hi Sean

Still using an elderly Nexus 7 (2013) as my back up tablet but more recently bought a Lenovo Tab4-8 as I required a 64 bit architecture tablet for the latest version of EasyVFR 4 nav.  software.  Both have proved extremely reliable with both older classic and later rosetta Paw units.  My wife has a Samsung Galaxy TabA-8 which I sometimes use in the house for testing using my static Paw unit and it too is rock solid on the wifi.  Both the Lenovo and Samsung were very reasonably priced.
Hope that helps.

Regards
Alan

steveu

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 08:58:30 pm »
I'd be wary of getting anything with really old Android as apps simply stop supporting older versions.

I'm not a fan of Samsung or Sony, as they overly customise Android making for late updates and early withdrawal of support.

Samsung tend to be good quality hardware, IME.

+1 for the Nexus 7 (2013), updated to Android 6.

Anything you can get with an OLED display will be amazing in daylight, but the price will make you choke...

Sean McDonald

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 10:18:05 am »
Hi both,

I already have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and a Huawei Media Pad T3 which I will try. My brother in law can wipe them back to blank and reinstall the bare minimum. All I had on the Nexus 9 was Google to access Playstore and a web browser. None of the other background stuff that uses battery. Have an old Nexus lurking around but it feels pretty clunky now. 2013 build

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 10:43:06 am »
Hi Sean,

Although I don’t use it as my ‘go to’ these days, I still have a Nexus 7 (2013 Version) which I use for testing. Despite its age it still works perfectly. I only changed it because in the Flexwing I am limited to running the pad in ‘landscape’ and the widescreen format of the Nexus 7 limits the extent of the view ahead compared to the 4 x3 format of the iPad Mini (or equivalent modern Androids).

Best Regards

Peter

Sean McDonald

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 03:54:40 pm »
Hi Peter,

My Nexus 7 served me extremely well but the battery is pretty unreliable these days. The quality of the Samsung screen is very good so it looks like the one to try now. I'm very impressed with the Huawei in general use too.

Sean