Author Topic: Some Targets not appearing on Skydemon  (Read 3921 times)

Dave jones

Some Targets not appearing on Skydemon
« on: March 30, 2021, 06:00:35 pm »
I have had a Rosetta and Skydemon for a few years and just added a Skyecho2 to provide ADSB out only.. I have noticed recently that aircraft I’m warned about on my audio do not appear on my Skydemon as a visible target.. I don’t think that mode s transponding aircraft are appearing on the iPad/Skydemon, although some aircraftI do show up. I have checked the home and config page and all 4 boxes are green. Any help greatly appreciated

exfirepro

Re: Some Targets not appearing on Skydemon
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 10:25:39 pm »
Hi Dave,

There could be several reasons, including your Mode C/S Select and Range Settings in PilotAware and whether you have ‘Show Bearingless Targets’ selected in SkyDemon Navigation Options.

Can you take and post screenshots of your PAW Home, Configure and Traffic Screens and check/report your display settings on SkyDemon please.

Regards

Peter

Ian Melville

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 07:11:27 am »
Also a screen shot on SD of the setup of Third Party Devices.  IIRC GDL90 does not support bearing less targets?

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 09:19:55 am »
Good point Ian,

You are correct, and that would certainly account for hearing Bearingless Audio Alerts but them not appearing on SD.

In brief Dave,

You need to have Mode C/S selected in PAW Configure (with Filter if you are also running a transponder), with Mode C/S Range set to Short or Medium (or long for testing) and the  altitude filters in PAW as open as possible (you can shut them down later).

In SD you need to have PilotAware enabled in Third Party Settings, Show Bearingless Targets enabled in Navigation Options, with a wide enough altitude filter set. Then use ‘Go Flying - Use PilotAware’. If you are using the GDL90 settings you will hear Bearingless Alerts, but SD won’t display the warning rings.

Regards

Peter

Dave jones

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 11:37:52 am »
Thank you all for your help. I do have “show bearing less targets” selected on my SD. However tend to use GDL90 option on go flying. I will now use Pilotaware option in future.  I’ll post some screen shoots when I go flying next time- hopefully Saturday

Dave jones

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 02:42:53 pm »
Trying to send screen shots of SD but unable to convert file acceptable to the forum.
I’m using the latest iPad mini. Any help greatly appreciated
Regards Dave

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 06:17:17 pm »
Hi Dave,

I usually open them in ‘Paint’ on a Windows laptop, then reduce them by 50% and save as jpeg. That usually allows 2 or 3 shots in each Forum Post.

IIRC @Ian Melville has suggested a useful app for shrinking photos, but I can’t remember the name and a Forum search hasn’t found it. Hopefully Ian will be on later.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 06:28:16 pm »

Ian Melville

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 11:40:11 pm »
There are many out there, IIRC the one I recommended was web based rather than an app download. That was a while ago now, may have all changed since then.

Dave jones

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 01:42:40 pm »
Once again thank you all. I’ll give the app a go.
Cheers Dave

Dave jones

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2021, 03:40:36 pm »
Some screen shots

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 04:15:06 pm »
Hi Dave,

Those SkyDemon settings look fine, though as previously advised, I would suggest opening up the 'Vertical Filter' a bit more (wide open initially) so you get to see Bearingless Targets and get used to how they show on screen. You can then close the filter back down again. Remember, to 'see' Bearingless Targets (as Warning Rings) you need to use the 'Go Flying - Use PilotAware' option as they don't show on GDL90.

It would still also be useful to add the Pilotaware Screenshots we asked for when you get a chance so we can check them for you and advise where appropriate.

Best Regards

Peter

Dave jones

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2021, 07:51:56 pm »
Thanks Peter.. I’ll post them as soon as I’m down at the airfield.

Dave jones

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2021, 05:04:52 pm »
Been flying today so posting some screen shots of PA configure pages. Also I have the same problem as Geoffrey C. Vector not showing any ADSB or mode s traffic on threes separate flights .I was flying north of East Midlands around TNT and GAM vors at 2300feet. Any thoughts please?

exfirepro

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2021, 05:35:01 pm »
Hi Dave,

Your second screenshot looks fine, i.e. no issues identified, but the first one is so low resolution as to be completely unreadable. Can you repost it at a higher resolution please.

Regards

Peter