Author Topic: Cannot get clock to sync to correct time  (Read 2063 times)

Winged_Jaguar

Cannot get clock to sync to correct time
« on: March 29, 2021, 10:50:11 pm »
I was having problems with PWRADLEY not being reliable and not connecting to aprs.glidernet.org:14580 (not connected). Grafana which has been reliably showing a daily heartbeat had started flat-lining :-(.

I rebuild OGN-R from scratch using the full distribution and set it up as usual. However on restart the time/date initialises to 2021-03-05. I was expecting it to periodically sync to NTP but the utility datetimectl status showed no NTP. How should the time be set up and what status should I expect. It also cannot connect to Grid.

This is a Pi3 which I suspect has a different time default to Pi2.

Any thoughts, please.

Admin

Re: Cannot get clock to sync to correct time
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 08:49:38 am »
It should be using ntp to synchronise its clocks
Can you pm me a password, I could get in and work out the issue

Pi2/3 is unrelated

Thx
Lee

AlanG

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 12:02:53 pm »
Is the fact that the date is the same as the version date significant, is there somehow a link being formed with this date and is the actual time correct??

Oooh, don't you just love trying to teach granny to suck eggs?? ;D  ;D

Regards Alan
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 12:08:15 pm by AlanG »

Winged_Jaguar

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 07:57:23 pm »
Thanks Lee,
Lee once again hit the nail on the head - and identified the problem as a network issue.
It was caused by having a PAW unit plugged in to the wired network (running temporarily in ground station mode) alongside the OGN-R unit.

It had been working fine for months but we recently had a rare power trip so both OGN-R and PAW restarted together.

There was an unfortunate interaction between the PAW and OGN-R sharing the same network and it resulted in the OGN-R unit not being able to see/resolve any external names/addresses even though all local network addresses available. So could not connect to NTP or the Grid.

PAW now not connected to the home network, and OGN-R is connected to Internet, NTP and Grid. All good. Hopefully will be able to see return of Grafana heartbeat.

Thanks again
Best wishes
Chris