Author Topic: ADSB  (Read 1978 times)

Microhornet

ADSB
« on: March 08, 2021, 11:22:25 am »
I have a TQ ktx2-S transponder that indicates I am transmitting ads-b out active and transmitting messages
Yet there are two pilot aware at my field that can see me cs-p but no ADSB
The transponder is in flight mode
Is there any other way that I can see my ADSB status so I can apply for the mod
Thanks
Tim gayton-polley

Admin

Re: ADSB
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 11:48:29 am »
Hi Tim

Can you let me have your ICAO code so I can confirm from any ATOM/GRID station capture ?

thx
Lee

Microhornet

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 12:56:08 pm »
4055ec

Admin

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 01:20:28 pm »
Hi Tim

I have checked all my records and we have lots of data for PilotAware and ModeS but nothing for an ES (Extended Squitter)
I presume this test is done on the ground, do you know if the emitter has a velocity threshold before it starts emitting ?

Just had a quick look at the manual, apparently if it has the letter A in white (not yellow or red) it is emitting
so yours is showing white ?

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 01:23:02 pm by Admin »

Microhornet

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 01:39:43 pm »
Letter A is white and I don’t know if there is a velocity factor no info in the manual

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 06:49:14 pm »
Hi Tim,

If you can’t get the required screen grab to work via PilotAware (and assuming it is actually transmitting ADS-B), there is an alternative method of gathering the necessary info to support an ADSB Out Mod, using software from the https://getyourwings.co.uk website. You will need a spare SDR and 1090 antenna to connect to your laptop or PC to run the program, but you could probably borrow one from a mate’s PilotAware for the test.

The Get Your Wings programme is very effective and is acceptable to the LAA and BMAA.

Best Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 08:37:14 pm »
What is the distance between transponder and receiver?
Transponders are very high power and can saturate the front end of receivers
Thx
Lee

Microhornet

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 10:03:55 am »
We were appx 30 ft apart so when the weather improves we will try again what would you recommend as a minimum distance
Regards tim

Admin

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 01:56:53 pm »
Its hard to say due to the various gains and losses involved in both transmission and reception
I would think 100ft would be perfectly adequate

I should have asked :-
Going back to the original requirement.
What is the GPS you are using - is it non-certified ?

If it is certified GPS, there is no requirement to submit anything to the LAA/BMAA

thx
Lee
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 02:00:51 pm by Admin »

Microhornet

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 03:48:52 pm »
My aircraft is on laa permit the current gps is non certified but I intend to replace with a tabs unit
Regards tim

AlanB

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 06:21:13 pm »
I use the get your wings app and in my experience I have had to remove the antenna from the SDR receiver or at least set it horizontal when in proximity to a full transponder on the ground to prevent receiver saturation.

It also has the effect of reducing the number of other replies from passing traffic so the one under test is easier to find.

There is also a gain control in the settings part of get your wings app that may also help.
Europa XS Mode-S ADS-B out enabled.