Author Topic: Showing North heading when on ground  (Read 1126 times)

LVCampbell

Showing North heading when on ground
« on: March 02, 2021, 05:11:54 pm »
Hi
I’ve had a look but couldn’t find similar thread.
Can anyone advise on the following:
I have installed PAW with external aerials and the Rosetta unit high in the aircraft. I use an Android tablet for Skydemon
On the ground the screen shows the actual location of my aircraft - however the aircraft symbol and white heading line always points North, regardless of orientation of aircraft.
Is this normal and will it show actual heading in the air ?

When I switch back to Skydemon/ tablet antenna I can taxi around with the aircraft symbol pointing in the right direction.
I have not been able to try in the air.

Any pointers ?

Kind regards
L

exfirepro

Re: Showing North heading when on ground
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 06:11:26 pm »
Hi LV,

Welcome to PilotAware.

Your Aircraft symbol and heading indicator pointing north when stationary on the ground is perfectly normal. It will turn to its correct heading when you fast taxi for take off, and in flight. I did a lot of early testing in my car and had fun trying to time my approach to prevent it turning to North if I had to stop at roundabouts (not that this was a problem in any way and it very quickly turns back on course when you start moving again).

As you say, SkyDemon using the Tablet GPS will point the correct way on the ground, but SkyDemon can only use a single data source at any one time, so if you switch SkyDemon to ‘Use Location Services’ you won’t get any traffic data from your PilotAware. This is why you need to setup and use ‘Go Flying - Use PilotAware’ for flying (Oh, and the tablet GPS is far less reliable in flight in any case).

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 06:15:49 pm by exfirepro »

LVCampbell

Re: Showing North heading when on ground
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 06:28:05 pm »

Exfirepro

Thank you very much for your knowledge.
I was thinking I’de goofed fitting it.

Best regards
L

exfirepro