Author Topic: Static Object Near ATOM Station  (Read 2699 times)

Kurt37

Static Object Near ATOM Station
« on: March 01, 2021, 08:11:53 am »
Hi there,

I am having some issues with a permanent static object.
It is constantly at my site, speed 0kmh, altitude ground level.
Funny enough it is picked up by an OGN Station 20miles away.
It is visible on all glider tracking website. But not on the local atom traffic screen.

Any ideas?

Kind Regards
Patrick
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 08:18:08 am by Kurt37 »

Moffrestorer

Re: Static Object Near ATOM Station
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 12:07:23 pm »
Hi Patrick,

I’m not really familiar with glider radar.com presentation. Does the object show up on Glidertracker.org ?

Regards,

Chris

Kurt37

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 01:24:45 pm »
Yes they do. Just hover over to EDDG (NW of Germany, M of city Münster) and you will see a static object.

steveu

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 01:46:00 pm »
Looks to me like there are two PAW stations there, has one been updated wrongly or are there really two PAW ATOMs there?

Image from Glider Tracker, Glider Radar is very, very slow to load here.

Kurt37

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 06:03:36 pm »
There are two PAW station on site yes. EDDG and EDDG2

Admin

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 03:50:15 pm »
Hang on maybe this is detected by an OGN station

The latest OGN software by default picks up PilotAware transmissions, we disable this in the ATOM station
Could there be an OGN near to the ATOM station ?

The OGN station could be reporting the ATOM station as a static object

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 06:55:04 pm »
Lee,

Funnily enough I noticed PWPARTEST (at Southdown Gliding Club) apparently being reported by an OGN Station several miles to the east of it this afternoon on Glidertracker. I can’t remember the OGN Station name but pretty sure it began with an ‘H’. I can’t however be sure if it was the station itself being reported as there was a ‘parking meter’ symbol displaying right next to PWPARTEST similar to the ones which we saw when the ATOM stations were first moved onto 0.2.8 ARM. Unfortunately I was hunting for something else at the time and only did a quick check of the OGN link, which IIRC was reporting a ‘PAWFxxxxx’ ICAO though I can’t be certain and this could be the ATOM or another RPi. I could of course be mistaken and didn’t get a chance to get back to check until now - and the OGN site I saw now seems to be down. I’ll have another look tomorrow.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 01:07:17 pm »
I think we need to inform the Glidernet people ...

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 02:13:29 pm »
Lee,

It looks like someone has already changed something!

Alan has had his 'static' spare PAW running at home all morning, as he does most days just now, but it isn't showing on Glidertracker at all (it normally does). It is reporting on my ATOM Status as - P - - r and displaying on my VRS, as expected.

I have also started up 2 'Classics' (1 x Pi2 and 1 x Pi3) here about 15 minutes ago. The older one - a Pi2 is displaying on Glidertracker as Flarm Traffic with the 'Flarm' Symbol and reference OGNF8A945 (using it's PAW MAC) and reporting linked to PWBalerno. The other (F6E4C5) is showing on my PWBalerno Status Screen and displaying on my Kiosk VRS, but not showing on Glidertracker.

Definitely weird!

p.s. No sign of the previously reported issue at PWPARTEST today either.

Regards

Peter

Kurt37

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 02:23:38 pm »
Problems still persist at EDDG. I think Lee might me right, that a nearby OGN station (TEBU) picks up PWEDDG and PWEDDG2 as static objects. Any ideas of how to fix that?

Kind regards
Patrick

Admin

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 03:32:38 pm »
Hi Kurt

its not really something we can solve, it is an issue decoding in the ogn software

the ATOM station broadcasts itself as a STATIC-OBJECT, the ogn receiver needs to decode this and handle it appropriately

I will log something on glidernet

Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 03:36:17 pm »