Author Topic: Is it OK to use a Pi 3 B+ for ATOM GRID?  (Read 1616 times)

neilmurg

Is it OK to use a Pi 3 B+ for ATOM GRID?
« on: February 25, 2021, 04:02:19 pm »
It's all in the title really, I'm getting a spare Pi, I want it to be able to be an ATOM GRID and I want the latest/fastest suitable Pi as it will do other things.
I gave away all my Pi's (to PAw), just before I decided to build a Pi-hole etc (doh!).
I see that the Pi 3 B is OK, how about the B+, there was a delay in using B+ for Rosetta, hence my hesitation.
I've looked through a fair amount of docs and posts, but most refer to the Pi 2!
As I understand it the Pi 4 is too power hungry for Rosetta (+ different port, USB C)
Thankyou in anticipation.
neilmurg

exfirepro

Re: Is it OK to use a Pi 3 B+ for ATOM GRID?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 04:49:59 pm »
Hi Neil,

You are correct, the Pi 3B is OK, but unfortunately the ATOM GRID software isn't currently ported to run on either the Pi 3B+ or the Pi 4 (which as you say also draws quite a bit more power - though this isn't in itself a major issue for a ground station). I can speak with authority re the 3B+ as (apart from previous discussions I have had with Lee) I and others spent a rather frustrating weekend recently trying to get the ATOM software to run on a 3B+ after one of our users insisted he had it running on a 3B+.  He was obviously mistaken!

I understand Lee does have it on his future projects list to develop the software, but in view of the extremely high level of development ongoing at the moment, I wouldn't hold your breath, Sorry!  :-\

Best Regards

Peter

neilmurg

Re: Is it OK to use a Pi 3 B+ for ATOM GRID?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 05:30:13 pm »
That's fine. I'll get a 3B as my spare then. Thanks!