Author Topic: Is it OK to power up Rosetta with no Antennas connected?  (Read 272 times)

Etheav8r

Is it OK to power up Rosetta with no Antennas connected?
« on: February 22, 2021, 12:27:27 pm »
I am nearing completion of the installation of the remote antennas in my Jabiru, which means it will soon be time to power up and configure my Rosetta for the first time.

I just want to check that it is OK to powerup the device without any antenna connected?  The reason I as is I also have multirotor R/C models with cameras which connect to a Video Transmitter (VTX) and if the craft is powered up without an antenna connected to the VTX, the TVX is very quickly damaged beyond repair.

Many thanks

exfirepro

Re: Is it OK to power up Rosetta with no Antennas connected?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 01:57:00 pm »
Hi Edmund,

The 1090 side is fine as it’s receive only, but running the 869.5MHz side without an antenna certainly isn’t recommended as this side includes the P3i transmitter.

If you only want to do a temporary power-up, you can set ‘Aircraft Type’ in the Configure Page to ‘Base Station Rx Only’. This will disable the P3i transmitter but leave the rest of the unit operating normally. Remember to set it back to the correct aircraft type afterwards though or you won’t be transmitting your position and won’t trigger uplinks from PAW ATOM Ground Stations.

Regards

Peter

Etheav8r

Re: Is it OK to power up Rosetta with no Antennas connected?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 09:08:02 pm »
Thank you Peter.

Edmund