Author Topic: Rosetta not working after software upgrade  (Read 4154 times)

AlanG

Re: Rosetta not working after software upgrade
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 05:21:26 pm »
Hi Martin

Glad to hear its working again.

Regards
Alan

JCurtis

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 05:58:09 pm »
A slight aside, having been dong quite a bit of stuff with GNSS recently.

Receivers may well 'see' multiple GNSS satellites, but unless the signal strength is OK they won't be used to make up part of the fix.  Then as they appear and disappear in sight of the receiver it will choose a set with a signal over its threshold to maintain the fix.

The U-Blox modules I'm working with will go from a cold start to full fix in ~30 seconds if outside, they don't have a backup battery.

Unfortunately, a factory fire at AKM in Nobeoka (Japan) last October has put a worldwide constraint on TCXO devices (Temperature Compensated Oscillators) which are a vital part of GNSS receivers.  I ordered some modules back in December, there were 1000's in stock.  Went to order some last week, 26 week lead time.  Managed to get enough for my needs direct from the U-Blox factory in Switzerland.  I believe they are now quoting 26 week minimum to everyone.

No doubt a rise in iffy modules from China will fill the gap.  These will use normal crystals, and not good ones at that.  A side effect of this is poor reception as their clocks are not good enough to track the GNSS signals, leading to long fix times and intermittent or poor location fixes. 

The factory is not due to be up and running again until the back end of this year.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

AlanG

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2021, 07:16:54 pm »
That's not great news Jeremy for anyone looking for a replacement.  I imagine the problem will be sorting out the wood from the crud!!!!

Alan