Author Topic: Colours  (Read 3910 times)

frankmcm

Colours
« on: February 01, 2021, 12:13:19 am »
I was pleased to see that it could be possible to receive useful weather reports via PAW.  Really pleased.   And then quite irritated to learn that I, along with ~8% of the UK population can’t use it.  Because red/green colours are used to display critical information.

Surely this is a case where other visual effects could be relatively easily employed. Take your pick of the hundreds of text options in a word processor .... just please drop the red/green thing!

You might just make it possible for me to pick out a useable airfield some day when the clouds start rolling in. 

Best regards

Admin

Re: Colours
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 08:27:29 am »
Hi Frank
are you referring to the METAR text display or the radar display?

There was quite a discussion on this matter here
http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php?topic=1772.0

thx
Lee

steveu

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 11:57:20 am »
Text is in black, colours are background only.

Does the background colour prevent reading of the text in black?

frankmcm

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 02:11:52 pm »
Metar text is fine. I see 2 shades of blue and lots of red. And should there be adjacent red & green lines I could possibly tell the difference. But there might be green lines in there!  I just can’t tell.
 Your PAW radar display has isolated text in separate locations, on a black background, so I would find it very difficult to be sure what colour they are.
I don’t want to come across as making ridiculous and impractical demands, with a huge cost in terms of coding, but there is something in this issue that I need to ventilate. 
Imagine a public venue is inaccessible to wheelchair users because the available entrances are all turnstiles.  And moreover, it cost relatively little to provide a suitable door. Wheelchair users wouldn’t remain silent and excluded for long.
The disability analogy is inaccurate however, because colourblindness is only a disability when the specified standard colours ignore the realities of colour vision in so many pilots.
I use PilotAware and SkyDemon every time I fly. Both are awesome contributors to flying safety. Last week I became aware that SD is also introducing a weather feature on their display, and guess what....red/green is used to display go/no go information !
I would urge you to “consider” a few options.   Can you make the red text on your radar screen flash, or use a different font, / outline text, use your genius to make me go away......
Rant over.  Peace !

steveu

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 04:07:18 pm »
Can you make the red text on your radar screen flash

That's a question for PAW developers.

Flash? In red?

The worse colour for PSE? Not a good idea...

Harding would advise against it, IMO...

AlanG

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 08:13:37 pm »
Hi

Could I suggest that a possible solution to this for all users would be to have a box at the start of the Metar line to depict the colour code (possibly using the distance box rather than adding another one) and maybe the colour in text abbreviations at the end of the metar, as in many of the mainly, (I think,) military Metars

I have to admit that I find it hard to read the thin black text on the colours without zooming them and I'm not colour blind.

Feel free to ignore me if this is a massive amount of coding.  ;D

Regards
Alan

PaulSS

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 09:34:01 pm »
I like Alan's idea. Just a small, coloured box, followed by the METAR. I really do not need the whole line filled with colour and also have more difficulty reading the text through the colours than if it was on a white background.

Perhaps in the 'box' of colour you could have a B, G, R, Y for those who can't make out the colours very well.

steveu

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 10:39:28 am »
Perhaps in the 'box' of colour you could have a B, G, R, Y for those who can't make out the colours very well.

Or the abbreviations VFR, MVFR, IFR & LIFR.

Admin

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 05:59:58 pm »
How about this ?

steveu

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 06:06:42 pm »
How about this ?

I think that's absolutely excellent. Colour distraction behind detailed text is removed for those with colour impairments, and there is a maximum of four letters in the coloured boxes.

The need to remember colour codes is gone.

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 07:06:30 pm »
Looks good to me Lee, but re-reading the OP and his subsequent post, I guess we need to consider how we display ‘flyability’ on PAWRadar as well. Interesting developments in this area going on in SkyDemon Betas, though not sure they are colour vision friendly.

Regards

Peter

AlanG

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2021, 07:29:21 pm »
Works for me too Lee, now I have to have a word with Rob Weijers about his insipid colours for the airport Metars in EV4. ;D

Regards
Alan

frankmcm

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021, 11:14:55 pm »
I do like the metar screen.  All the information and no distraction.
The radar screen remains an issue, although I’m not sure how often I would be depending on it to get out of trouble.
I have been agitating on SkyDemon about this issue, but their planning screen effectively surrounds red areas with a yellow margin, so there are sufficient clues there to guide me away from bad weather. However theirs is explicitly not an airborne facility, unlike PAW radar.
My early suggestion to use flashing red should be taken as a more general plea to consider other formatting methods. ( Steveu sorry I’m not familiar with Harding)  This forum reply box has bold/ italic/ underline /.etc.etc etc  Maybe there is an emoticon that would work.  ?
I appreciate the fact that you are at least giving the subject some consideration.   
Regards

PaulSS

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 07:28:14 am »
I much prefer that METAR screen and think it is significantly more readable  :D

steveu

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2021, 08:31:03 am »
My early suggestion to use flashing red should be taken as a more general plea to consider other formatting methods. ( Steveu sorry I’m not familiar with Harding) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harding_test

Key extracts:

Photosensitive epilepsy affects approximately one in 4,000 people and is a form of epilepsy in which seizures are triggered by visual stimuli that form patterns in time or space, such as flashing lights, bold regular patterns, or regular moving patterns. In 1993, an advert for Pot Noodles induced seizures in three people in the United Kingdom, leading to the then regulator the ITC introducing these guidelines.

and

The algorithms behind PSE testing look at video frames from second to second and analyse for potentially provocative image sequences. Luminance flashes, Red flashes and spatial patterns over prescribed amplitude and frequency limits are then logged. Any such over limit violations give rise to the media being failed.

It's spoken about in the context of trelevision but applies to all screens.