Author Topic: Colours  (Read 4033 times)

exfirepro

Re: Colours
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2021, 08:41:05 am »
frankmcm, Thanks for your responses.

I have to say that the METARs Screen is my ‘go to’ to check flyability where necessary en route, or should a divert became appropriate - especially as the METARs provide the additional detail required to assist in deciding which of potential alternatives is likely to be the best option. In that respect I really like Lee’s proposal if it addresses frankmcm’s concerns and IMO makes the rest of the text easier to read. The METARs Screen has also been very useful on those (odd) occasions where I have forgotten to check and reset QNH before leaving an unfamiliar field  :-\ .

We have to remember though that a lot of people will fly with the PAW Radar Screen, either as their Primary Display or as a ‘Traffic Only’ display on a second device (usually in or very close to line of sight). This being the case, the presence and colour coding of the ICAO Airfield Designators on the Radar Screen is IMO extremely important as it provides immediate reference to relative position and flying conditions. I am therefore keen to ensure that we continue to provide the METAR info via this screen in the most suitable way for those who have colour vision issues as well as those (myself included) who find reading small print in a bouncing aircraft increasingly difficult. Accepting that we don’t want to use random colours and don’t want to make changes for the sake of making them, would simply enlarging/bolding the text be a worthwhile improvement? (It was certainly beneficial when we did this on the Aircrew Display). I would welcome your views.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 10:02:42 am by exfirepro »

frankmcm

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2021, 04:24:52 pm »
Hi Peter
One possible test would be to mock up a few example screens to check readability / serviceability / acceptability etc .  My guess is that it would take very little tweaking of font attributes to make a noticeable difference without being distracting. 
I now understand the epilepsy reference. However the flash rate could perhaps be chosen so as to minimise this issue.
I don’t know how much work would be involved, and whether the investment would be considered worthwhile. I’m always happy to be involved with feedback if someone else does the coding. We have been COVID grounded here for so long now that I scarcely remember what the cockpit environment feels like. Moreover, I don’t know if we yet have the ground facilities here ( EGAD )to use weather data.
  I believe that the PAW radar screen could be a lifesaver. Sorting the colour issues would be awesome.

Regards
Frank

steveu

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 06:06:36 pm »
Just to bring this thread back to life as we are always asking but not often enough giving thanks when we get what we asked for.

The new METAR screen is even better. Thank you very much.

PaulSS

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2021, 06:13:27 pm »
Oh yes, that looks a lot better. Much clearer and I hope more distinguishable for those with colour vision snags.