Author Topic: Connecting RS232 cable to Rossetta  (Read 3848 times)

exfirepro

Re: Connecting RS232 cable to Rossetta
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2021, 10:20:42 pm »
Thanks Chris,

Any photos of the installation may also help.

Best Regards

Peter

PaulSS

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2021, 07:21:01 am »
Hi Alan,

I don't think too many GA aircraft are fitted with squat switches linked to the undercarriage to mute the ADSB on the ground

Nowadays they don't need to be physical squat switches but simple options in an EFIS. They don't mute the ADSB but switch the Mode S transponder between ground and airbourne mode (having the effect of turning the ADSB on and off).

As an example, my EFIS has an 'air switch' where I've told it to trigger as 'flying' once the RPM are > 4000 AND the IAS > 40kts. It will switch the transponder 'on' once those parameters have been met and will then turn it 'off' once the speed drops < 40kts (for about 15 continuous seconds, I think). This way it doesn't think it's on the ground if I'm stalling etc. Clearly, this needs to be bypassed if you want to test the transponder/ADSB on the ground. I only offer it as a suggestion in case Chris' machine has such a 'switch' fitted, to save disappearing down other, more winding, rabbit holes.

Many, many light aircraft have facilities such as these now and it is beyond the preserve of Boeing and Airbus  :)

Sapper732

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2021, 10:01:15 am »
Hi Peter, forgot to mention, I have a trig 21 and I fly a SkyRanger Nynja.
Chris.

exfirepro

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2021, 10:27:05 am »
Hi Chris,

That certainly helps. I have a TT21 with ADSB Out myself, though using a different GPS source as I set it up before I discovered PilotAware back in 2015. I have since assisted many others with Trig / PAW setups as well as other transponder/GPS combinations.

Pending our receipt of your screenshots/photos, you might benefit from reading this post/thread which I did in response to a similar query recently...

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,1997.msg21333.html#msg21333

A lot of it won’t be appropriate to your installation, but it will point you to the areas you need to check to determine whether everything is as it should be. Let us know if you find anything amiss. We can dig further if necessary from there.

If you have a laptop available, another way of checking your Mode-S / ADSB is to use the transponder testing software available via the ‘Projects’ section on the Get Your Wings website...

https://getyourwings.co.uk/uncertified-gps-testing-or-just-checking-the-output-from-your-transponder/

You need an SDR and antenna to plug in to your laptop (the one from your Classic should be fine). Tip - plug it in before loading or starting the program. I have used it on several installations and obtained reports even when the installation isn’t reporting on PilotAware. (Not being ‘disloyal’ just that it’s an effective practical alternative), and reports I have ‘certified’ have been accepted by the BMAA / LAA.

Best Regards

Peter

AlanG

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2021, 11:12:26 am »
Hi Paul

Noted, every day is a school  ;Dday.

Alan

Sapper732

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2021, 09:20:19 pm »
Hi Peter, that’s very helpful, hope I can’t sort without too much trouble.
Be in touch.
Cheers Chris.

MikeD

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2021, 10:04:44 pm »
Hi,

Very quick question: The FTDI USB-RS232-WE-1800-BT-0.0 from RS is listed in the following configurations-- No Volts, 3v or 5V.  Which one is used for FLARM to PAW  and possibly PAW to a transponder.

Mike

exfirepro

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2021, 10:17:24 pm »
Hi Mike,

I have always used the 0 Volts version, though not sure it matters as you won’t be using the ‘voltage wire’.

Regards

Peter

MikeD

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2021, 09:11:14 am »
Peter,

Thanks for the info.

Mike