Author Topic: Android Beta Release of PilotAware Now Available  (Read 3546 times)

Keithvinning

Android Beta Release of PilotAware Now Available
« on: January 29, 2021, 05:36:16 pm »
Thanks to the great work by Neil Hathaway the beta release of the Android version of the Firmware updater has landed. If you are an Android champion give it a whirl and tell us what you think.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=updater.pilotaware

BobD

Re: Android Beta Release of PilotAware Now Available
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 09:00:11 am »
Well done team a great step forward. Easy App installation and really good clear instructions. I've just completed step 1 & 2 whilst sat in my Living Room, and will check out step 3 as soon as I can get back to the airfield.
Anything that ensures our EC is up to date  and easy to install has to be a good thing.  :)

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 09:35:46 am »
Hi Bob,

I totally agree on the benefits of the App. I have been using the iOS version since Beta Testing last year and it makes life sooooo.. much easier!

Having spent some considerable time recently testing the Beta Android Version for Neil and helping him to refine it, I’m interested in why you say you have done Steps 1 & 2 in your Living Room, but not Step 3?

To do Step 2, (Upload Firmware to PilotAware), you must have the PilotAware present and powered up, and be connected to the PAW WiFi, so why would you not then run Step 3 which actually Installs the Firmware and Reboots the PilotAware to complete the process?

Regards
Peter
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 09:49:47 am by exfirepro »

BobD

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 09:31:50 am »
Hi Peter,
that's easy to answer; I plumbed my PAW in behind the panel during the build of my Europa, so I can't  do step 3 until I next visit the hangar.
I connected the USB port to a cable running to a socket on the front of the panel, where I plug in the GPS dongle before each flight, and also currently use to update the image from a USB stick whenever there is an update.
This new method will make updates even easier, I won't have to download  the update at home and transfer it a USB stick. I can download it direct to the tablet I use for flight planning, and navigation in the aircraft, which is permanently wirelessly connected to PAW in flight.
Simples!  :)
Cheers
BobD

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 10:10:18 am »
Hi Bob,

That’s what I reckoned you meant. It’s just that without the tablet connected to the PAW you can’t do Step 2 - Upload to PilotAware (which in your OP you said you had already done). Obviously just a misunderstanding.

And definitely much easier than trying to get a USB stick into a permanently mounted Rosetta if you don’t have a cable pre-fitted.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 10:12:38 am by exfirepro »

mariko

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 10:19:13 am »
well done!
thanks
Ciao
  Mariko

BobD

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 09:56:49 am »
You're  right about step 2 Peter, my bad  :-[
And after me saying how clear the Instructions are as well !  ::)

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 05:55:56 pm »
Hi Bob,

It’s easy to get confused with a new product, even with good instructions. Much more straightforward when you’re actually doing it for real.

Best Regards

Peter

Vic

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 02:17:43 pm »
I'm having some problems with this app.

All steps appear to go fine including downloading version 20201101 and step 3 (Install FW and restart PAW) which gives the 'Installation Complete, PAW will now restart' message. The PAW doesn't restart however, and even if I manually restart it, it remains on version 20200825

Vic

AlanG

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 05:08:28 pm »
Hi Vic

I have to ask the obvious question:   You are making sure you are connected to the PilotAware wifi for step two and three aren't you?......Sorry

Regards
Alan

Vic

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 08:44:59 am »
I am Alan, yes.

The app comes up with my license information and currently installed /new versions on the Info page.

Its odd, I've tried it on 2 different devices, my Huawei Phone and Lenovo Tablet with the same result. It appears that its the Pilotaware that's acting strange!

AlanG

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 10:30:58 am »
Hi Vic

Only other thing I can suggest is to log into your paw and then click on the "Updates" window and check if there is any mention of the 20201101 version next to the install button.  If it is there it may be worth tapping the button and see what happens.
Other than that its maybe try the memory usb stick or whatever was your previous tried and trusted method of updating to prove if a glitch in the paw software has occurred, after that it's above my pay grade i'm afraid. 

Regards
Alan

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 11:13:26 am »
Hi Vic,

When that dialogue box appears, the full installation process hasn’t actually completed as this only happens as part of the reboot. Did you actually acknowledge the Step 3 ‘Installation Complete’ dialogue box? You have to do so to initiate the final part of the install. It then still takes a while for the actual ‘install’ and reboot to take place, during which the PAW WiFi drops out for quite a while, and (unless you are in the middle of nowhere with your PAW set to automatically reconnect) the Updater app usually has to be manually reconnected after the PAW WiFi reappears, to complete the process. Manually rebooting of the PAW before this process finishes may well interrupt the process.

To confirm, I’ve just updated the Updater App on my old Samsung Galaxy S5 phone to Version 2.0.2 and used it to update an old PAW Classic, previously running 20190621 to 20201101 and it worked fine.

I’m guessing you possibly just aren’t leaving it enough time.

Best Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 11:33:04 am by exfirepro »

Vic

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 11:33:23 pm »
Hi Peter

No, I press Step 3, 'Install and Reboot' and the 'install complete' message comes up almost immediately. Pressing 'ok' to then  initiate the reboot clears the box but the PAW doesn't reboot, it continues running normally!

exfirepro

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 12:23:02 am »
Vic,

Yes, you are correct - the ‘Install Complete’ message comes up within a few seconds of you pressing the button to start ‘Step 3’, but clicking ‘OK’ to acknowledge the message is just the start of the process.

Although it looks like the PAW is running normally, it’s actually installing and reconfiguring the software prior to rebooting. It first has to save all your previous Configuration Settings, Profiles and Licence details, then actually install and configure the new firmware, then reconfigure and reinstate all of your settings and then it has to reboot. That can all take a significant period of time (several minutes at the very least). If you have interrupted it in any way during that process you may have broken the sequence.

That doesn’t of course mean there isn’t a fault, though I’m not aware of any other reports of failures. Although we took great care to test the Updater extensively prior to release by carrying out multiple updates using a broad range of Android devices and versions (at least one of which I believe was a Lenovo Tablet, though I can’t say which model) to repeatedly update different PAW models (Mk1 & Mk2 Classics, Rosettas and Development Unit’s) from and to a broad range of Public Release and Beta software versions with a very high degree of success, we were of course unable to test on every make or model of Android device, so it may be that there is an issue. What are the specific models of your phone and tablet, and what versions of android are your devices running?

Can you try going through the process again on each device with the PAW connected by HDMI to a monitor or TV screen and let us know what happens.

Regards

Peter