Author Topic: NMEA out to transponder.  (Read 49410 times)

bnmont

Re: NMEA out to transponder.
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2015, 08:13:52 pm »
Screen shot from this afternoon G-CIJO in hangar, other PAW in carpark

bryannortje

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2015, 01:18:32 pm »
bnmont - did you connect from PAW the RS232 TX and RX to your TRT800 or just the RS232 TX. I was wondering what the Transponder does with both RS232 Tx  & RX connection.

ianfallon

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2015, 01:20:09 pm »
My experience is it works fine with TX and RX connected.

bryannortje

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2015, 01:29:50 pm »
great - will connect both  :o

ianfallon

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2015, 01:33:11 pm »
Given the PAW will not be listening for RS232 from the transponder, I strongly suspect it doesn't matter either way.
I guess I wired it that way in case Lee ever decides to log messages coming out of it although I can't imagine why we would need to except curiosity!

bryannortje

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2015, 05:24:27 pm »
IanF - I was wondering if its rather the Transponder interrogating the GPS on the TX feed (from trnspndr to PAW)...

I have connected mine up and set trnspndr settings on RS232 to NMEA messages, and then fired up A/C mounted PAWS and then a second PAWS in my car. SD showed both units but info displayed seems like it was PAW to PAW.
How can I check that the ADS-B data is being sent ?? as I could not get Flightradar24 to run properly (poor data network in hangar) and even so would it show with A/C in hangar on the ground?

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2015, 05:28:53 pm »
Disconnect the ARF board in one or both of the units.

bnmont

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2015, 05:32:07 pm »
The TRT800 can be put into test mode IIRC it will or should display a P top left showing that it is getting a position fix from a gps, I think the P will only show when unit is out of standby mode.
Its in the manual somewhere.

ianfallon

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2015, 05:44:55 pm »
Set the a/c PAW to another hex code, not the correct one for the a/c.

Assuming you have the transponder set up with the correct hex code and registration you'll see your reg on the 2nd unit or worst case the real a/c hex code from the transponder. If you see the temporary "wrong" hex code - that is over the P3i interface (ARF).

Really it's much simpler to run FlightRadar24 and see yourself on there with it NOT showing as "T-MLAT" (the vanilla Mode S system) instead showing something like "F-EGTK2"

Admin

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2015, 05:45:12 pm »
How can I check that the ADS-B data is being sent ?? as I could not get Flightradar24 to run properly (poor data network in hangar) and even so would it show with A/C in hangar on the ground?

Bryan, you need my new CAA/NATS/FASVIG Verification mode :-)
Well until you get a copy of that, why not turn on the ADSB logging, it will be pretty noisy
but you just need to look for your ICAO code coming through as an ADSB message.

If you want a copy of the CAA/NATS/FASVIG Verification mode, send me a PM, I can do that for you

Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2015, 05:46:41 pm »
Set the a/c PAW to another hex code, not the correct one for the a/c.

Yep, thats clever!
If you want to check the values of
SIL,SDA, NACp, etc you will need the Verification mode, or fly into correct airspace and see if the settings are correct

Thx
Lee

ianfallon

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2015, 05:47:24 pm »
Well until you get a copy of that, why not turn on the ADSB logging, it will be pretty noisy
but you just need to look for your ICAO code coming through as an ADSB message.

Doh! Yes, that is the other thing I did - forgot to mention that. Good point!

The Westmorland Flyer

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2015, 09:55:52 pm »
Will that be in a later version of PAW software, Lee? I think it would be extremely useful, especially for those of us that are outside the NATS trial area.
John
G-JONL, Sportcruiser, Carlisle

Admin

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2015, 10:04:55 pm »
Will that be in a later version of PAW software, Lee? I think it would be extremely useful, especially for those of us that are outside the NATS trial area.

The exact intention of this, is for those outside the trial area.
The code is in an engineering build right now, and will flow into the release procedure

Thx
Lee

The Westmorland Flyer

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2015, 10:08:53 pm »
Great job Lee, thanks. I'm happy to wait unless it's going to be months before it gets into the release version. I still have to procure the new ES transponder (and attack piggy bank for same). It's a winter project.
John
G-JONL, Sportcruiser, Carlisle