Author Topic: SDR Installation and insulation  (Read 1758 times)

ls8pilot

SDR Installation and insulation
« on: January 20, 2021, 04:37:02 pm »
Just putting together a new station for Nympsfield (BGGC). I'm putting everything into a project box ready for installation (when we're allowed back in the clubhouse), the SDR's provided have already had the aluminium cases removed (which helps them fit). Just wondering if I need to insulate/protect them somehow - eg heat shrink or silicon tape round the exposed SDR  boards ?  What do people normally do ?

I was also thinking of using 90 degree USB adaptors which make the fit a bit neater.

exfirepro

Re: SDR Installation and insulation
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 05:39:35 pm »
Hi LS8,

What type of SDRs are they? The only ones I know with aluminium cases are the likes of the NooElec NESDRSmart ones or similar - in which the aluminium case acts as part of the 'Temperature Control' mechanism for the TCXO (Temperature Controlled Crystal Oscillator) and should therefore probably not be removed. * (Not sure if the NooElec Nano2 ones use aluminium cases - and IIRC they aren't TCXO, so that would be OK, though IIRC the Nano 2+ and Nano 3+ ones are).

* Edit: I have since been advised that the dongles in question are NOT NooElec, so slightly different rules apply (see Keith’s post below). Sorry for any confusion.

The dongles in my 'Home' Station are fitted 'as supplied'. In the case of PWEFortun - the 1090 one is simply plugged into the main unit with its plastic case removed (and the cased unit is mounted on an open board just under the hangar roof - I must put in in a box when I get time). I have to say, however, I have never experienced any problems and they've all been running since July 2018 (I think). I suppose you could add a bit of heat shrink, but it might encourage them to overheat - they can get pretty hot. There should be no problem in using the 90 degree adaptors if it helps.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 10:50:14 pm by exfirepro »

Keithvinning

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 05:58:38 pm »
Hi Julian

Yes the RTLSDR's provided do not have cans on them it is not necessary. They include temperature controlled oscillators, which makes them very stable for both the FLARM and 1090MHz reception. No need to insulate them at all, in this configuration they benefit from the airflow. I have built about 70-90 ATOM Stations using them like this.

I have also used 90 degree USB adapters but have not been able to find any that allow both to be done in this way.  I have when building an outdoor NEBRA enclosure version folded one of the TCO RTLSDR's over the top of the pi using a 180-degree adapter and then used a smaller RTLSDR (the type used on Rosetta that doesn't have a TCO) for the ADSB receiver which is not so critical as the flarm receiver to drift. I have never found 180 degree connectors small enough to fit 2 side by side.

To ensure that a good connection is made put a small bow in the USB plug to get a better friction fit and also a drop of superglue helps. Just a drop though.

A lot of folks use a 270mm*180mm project box from Screwfix which is a good fit if a little large. The N-TYpe bulkhead female pigtails also fit in the knockouts provided.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-ip55-enclosure-grey-270-x-180-x-135mm/86625?_requestid=22648

Keith

ls8pilot

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 06:01:53 pm »
Thanks Keith

I've got a similar ventilated project box - good point on the cooling, I'll have a play around with the options

Julian