Author Topic: Help for PilotAware Virgin  (Read 30413 times)

Admin

Re: Help for PilotAware Virgin
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 01:11:11 pm »
Hi,

Deep breath!

So firstly confirm you have the 3.3v regulator version of the digole, the JMP can be simply nudged out of the way with a hot soldering iron.
To be honest, it appears I have been the only one unlucky enough to have had the faulty boards

You do not need to load NOOBS, simply unpack the contents of the PilotAware.zip file into the root of the previously formatted SD card

You need CollisionWare irrespective of whether the GPS is internal or external

TBD regarding the setup, but in the meantime, how about here for the info
http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,13.0.html

Thx
Lee

Rastus

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 01:38:01 pm »
Lee,
Thank your reply which I appreciate. I delayed replying as your first question was about the 3.3v regulator and at that point it had not arrived
Today it did and it looks exactly as the two photos showing both sides in your PilotAware Construction Manual.
The wording on the delivery note is "XBee/Pro Breakout Board 3.3V to 5V MCU Pitch.....3LED Indicator"
I can see JMP  on the board.
If it is wrong can it be modified and how, please?
I look forward to your advice
Rastus

Admin

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 01:47:09 pm »
If the JMP is in place, than you can simply swipe it off with a hot soldering iron
I would recommend powering up the board, and testingthe supplies with a multimeter

Rastus

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 03:51:35 pm »
That was a swift answer but you are talk to " no electronics person??!!"
I can see the letter JMP but other than that it appears exactly the same as your photo in the build instructions.
Is the one shown there correct or does that need modifying?

Now I am going to guess!
 To follow your "power up the board and test the supplies" I wonder if it is a case of 5.5volts across pin10  row 3 and pin1 row 3, and then look for 3.3 volts between pin 9and GRND and also pin 8 and GRND?

Admin

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 05:27:09 pm »
That was a swift answer but you are talk to " no electronics person??!!"
I can see the letter JMP but other than that it appears exactly the same as your photo in the build instructions.
Is the one shown there correct or does that need modifying?

Now I am going to guess!
 To follow your "power up the board and test the supplies" I wonder if it is a case of 5.5volts across pin10  row 3 and pin1 row 3, and then look for 3.3 volts between pin 9and GRND and also pin 8 and GRND?

Looking from the back of the Xbee adapter, you should measure 3.3v going into the ARF so that is column 4, row 10, GND column 4, row 1

Rastus

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 07:33:20 pm »
Hurrah!!
Thanks for that advice. I now know Diagole regulator provides the 3.3Volts

I have now done the Test Prior to Assembly (6.2) and  had the various lights come on.
The blue light on the ARF board came on and then off...... hope that is normal??

When it comes to assembling and soldering the pins on both the Diagloe and ARF you warned about the need to set them up properly.
You may be interested to know the method I used which was both easy and successful, which  was to dry assemble the two boards with the pins in their correct places and then held them tightly together with a tight rubber band.
This made for a easy soldering and easy handling and the board to board fit was perfect..........just tyring to put something back after all the help!

Admin

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2015, 07:35:34 pm »
Dry assembly is the approach I take too, but I have a little jig
The blue light is a heartbeat, it should flash once a second

Thx
Lee

rasputin2068

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2015, 08:03:46 pm »
Hello

Have assembled all the bits, confirmed connections and voltages.
SD card formatted using app and copied over latest package.
Loaded up the apps in the order given.
SD allows me to select FLARM (6000 in setup)

But I see nothing shown on the SD display on an Ipad or Nexus when I click on Go Flying - use FLARM.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

regards

Steve

Admin

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2015, 08:36:48 pm »
Sd has traffic filters, have you altered to pick up high traffic ?

rasputin2068

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2015, 08:48:14 pm »
Yes set filter for 40000ft as suggested in an earlier post

Admin

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2015, 11:26:39 am »
Do you have a monitor connected to the HDMI port, are any messages reported ?

trapdoor

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2015, 05:06:46 pm »
Have you looked at traffic around you using something like FlightRadar24?

The first time I fired mine up - nothing. No targets. Fired up FR24 and there was just nothing about - it happens round here.

I find FR24 is extremely useful for validating and checking you are seeing all the traffic that is broadcasting ADS-B, and it's nice to see that PilotAware is a bit ahead of the FR24 data - obviously because you are processing the real data, not waiting for it to be processed and sent over the interweb.

Rastus

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2015, 03:28:27 pm »
Having got the unit completed I needed to test it, so this afternoon sat under the take-off flight path of Leeds Bradford.

Total disappointment. No other little yellow plane silhouettes on the iPad ( running Sky Demon with Garmin Glo)

No problems with Wi Fi or Flamm connection etc
In the blue line at the top pf the screen it said it was using the services, or words to that effect
I am not using either of the new Upgrade, just the original version
The power was via the car's 12volt outlet / USB fitting. Could see lights on in the R-Pi Case
I wonder about the ADS-B Dongle as I have seen the bragging rites on the blog about some Dongles!
I bought mine from Ali Express, described as : Mini USB-T USB 3.0 SDR & DVB-T receiver RTL2823U +R802 Tuner Black

What do you think needs checking and in what order of likely cause??
Please
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 03:37:12 pm by Rastus »

Admin

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2015, 05:38:53 pm »
Having got the unit completed I needed to test it, so this afternoon sat under the take-off flight path of Leeds Bradford.

Total disappointment. No other little yellow plane silhouettes on the iPad ( running Sky Demon with Garmin Glo)

No problems with Wi Fi or Flamm connection etc
In the blue line at the top pf the screen it said it was using the services, or words to that effect
I am not using either of the new Upgrade, just the original version
The power was via the car's 12volt outlet / USB fitting. Could see lights on in the R-Pi Case
I wonder about the ADS-B Dongle as I have seen the bragging rites on the blog about some Dongles!
I bought mine from Ali Express, described as : Mini USB-T USB 3.0 SDR & DVB-T receiver RTL2823U +R802 Tuner Black

What do you think needs checking and in what order of likely cause??
Please

Sorry to hear this.
Couple of things to confirm

1. are all of the traffic filters disabled, ie able to view traffic +/- 40000ft ?
2. have you booted with a monitor attached to PilotAware, I would be interested on any messages produced

Thx
Lee

Rastus

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2015, 05:57:02 pm »
The traffic filters were certainly set +40000 ft, The aircraft were about 200metres away as they took off and we saw them climb out to beyond 5000 + ft altitude.
I will try your suggest of a boot up with the TV connected.
Thanks